Do I need an anchor blepharoplasty or just skin removal? What shape is the incision? (photos)

37 year old female. Congenital excess skin.

Here is why you need an anchor blepharoplasty.

You have early bilateral upper eyelid ptosis and lash ptosis.  If you have skin only upper blepharoplasty, it will expose the heaviness of the upper eyelid platform and it will not correct the lash ptosis.  The swelling associated with the blepharoplasty can worsen the heaviness of the upper eyelid.  If you surgeon violates the orbital septum without correcting the upper eyelid ptosis, this is much more likely to cause post procedure heaviness. Unfortunately the anchor blepharoplasty can be very challenging to find in a particular market.

Do I need an anchor blepharoplasty or just skin removal?

From the one limited photograph, it appears that a simple skin excision only upper blepharoplasty can address rejuvenating the upper eyelids.  The incision is located directly in the crease with an elliptical skin excision performed. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Blepharoplasty

Age is really not a factor when determining the "right" time to have surgery on your upper lids.  For genetic cases like yourself, it's perfectly reasonable to proceed with having upper eyelid surgery to correct the skin excess.  I make my incision in the natural crease of your upper lid.  Recovery is generally 5-7 days.  I use Occumend pads, which contain 50x the normal over the counter concentration of Arnica Montana and Ledum to help with post-operative bruising and swelling.  Surgery is done under local anesthesia in my procedure room.  It's a well tolerated procedure.  Check out some of my videos and photos for further information.  You are a great candidate. Be sure to see a board certified facial plastic surgeon, occuloplastic surgeon, or plastic surgeon.

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper lid blepharoplasty

While a complete exam is needed to fully determine the benefit of surgery, it does seem that you have excess upper lid skin. Also on your photos you have some lateral fullness that might need to be removed as well.

Seek a board certified surgeon for a full evaluation.

Joel M. Stewart, Jr., MD
Newnan Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

Thank you for asking your question and sharing your photograph. It appears that you would benefit from blepharoplasty. See a an experienced specialist in person who can thoroughly evaluate your problem and give you best advice. Good luck, 

Upper lid blepharoplasty

From these photos, it looks like you would get a homerun result with an upper lid blepharoplasty. This procedure would make you look more rested and open up your eye. In my experience the most important thing in assuring a quick recovery from blepharoplasty is minimizing bruising and swelling. Bruising is much easier to prevent that to get rid of. I have all my patients ice as much as possible from the time they get home until they go to sleep that first night. And I instruct them to not recline any more than 45 degrees until they go to sleep that night. And stay away from salt. Patients who follow these instructions generally heal very quickly with little or minimal bruising or swelling. Good luck with your procedure!

Dean Vistnes, MD.

Vistnes Plastic Surgery

San Francisco Bay Area

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon