Can someone tell me what is best for sculptra injections; the normal syringe or the cannula?

Top results with Sculptra

A blunt cannula can come in different sizes. The most important criteria for success include the placement of the Sculptra, the areas injected, your candidacy, the dilution of the Sculptra, and aftercare.

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Scultpra: Cannula versus Needle

Placement of product is the most critical step of injection of filler.  Whether a cannula or a needle is used is not necessarily relevant as prominent injectors favor both methods.  Sculptra is most commonly injected with a needle but can be injected via cannula as well.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra injection techniques

As outlined below, Sculptra can be a terrific product to sculpt, lift and otherwise shape the face.   What is most important is the techniques used and experience of the injector (as well as how good a candidate you are for the procedure).  I rarely use cannulas, except for when I inject HA products to the upper lids, because I feel like I can achieve a better result with needles (ie gettting into different tissue layers, dissecting off wrinkles, etc) but cannulas can be helpful for many doctors.  What is most important is the skill and experience of the injector.  That said, very few injectors use cannulas for sculptra because of the larger particle size and need to volumize in different tissue planes but I know some excellent injectors who prefer cannulas even for sculptra.  

Find an experienced board certified "core" injector who has extensive experience with the product and let them worry about which technique to use.  Injecting these fillers is an art as well as a science and sculptra particularly requires a finesse that can take years to perfect so make sure they are experts with this product,

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sculptra Treatment

Sculptra is Poly-L-Lactic acid, it is scientifically designed to stimulate natural collagen growth. Immediately after Sculptra treatments patients are fuller in the face due to the water that is used to inject Sculptra, this fullness usually dissipates 1-2 weeks after injections.

Sculptra is measured by vials, patients generally need 1-2 vials per session and can need anywhere from 6-9 vials total. I have used both needles and cannulas to inject Sculptra, but I find I get better placement with needle injections.

Sculptra is best done is a series of treatments anywhere from 4-6 sessions. Collagen will continue to stimulate up to 6 months after injections. Sculptra is a very good product that can last up to 2 years with optimal treatment.

Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see what treatment is best for you.

For more information on Sculptra click on link below:

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra technique

Sculptra is an amazing injection to build the body own's collagen especially in the areas of the mid and lower face. It is the technique and skill of the injector which is most important. Sculptra is a water based injection and proper placement depends on the skill of the injector. For the best osmotic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in injecting Sculptra. 

Sculptra injections - cannulas or needle?

Sculptra is somewhat prone to clogging. It made cannulas not economical to use because you would have to go through several cannulas during one patient. With a new cannula from Softfil, I'm able to use one for the whole case. I now use cannulas for everything except the temples. There is less bruising and post procedure swelling using cannulas. Results are similar with needles and cannulas. My patient's prefer cannulas. I was using needles for about 3-4 years and switch he'd a bout 6 months ago. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sculptra injections

There is no strong evidence that suggests that cannulas are any superior to syringes for any injectables, including Sculptra. What I think, and most board certified core physicians agree about, is the injection technique,understanding of facial anatomy and the training of the injector is what matters most when it comes to Sculptra.  

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

What is best for Sculptra injections? Cannula or normal syringe?

The method by which Sculptra is injected is mainly determined by the preference of the physician treating you.  When you say normal syringe, I assume you are referring to a needle instead of a cannula.  Some physicians prefer a needle and some prefer a cannula.  I do not believe the ultimate result would be better with one method over another, as long as the Sculptra is delivered correctly.  Some doctors feel a cannula reduces the chance of bruising and the chance of entering a blood vessel.  Some doctors may not feel this is the case.  I think the most important thing is being treated by a doctor experienced with using Sculptra rather than whether a needle or cannula is used.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon