Aging neck - will Sculptra do the trick (Ultherapy sounds painful!) If yes, how much is required?

I am 50. I have almost no wrinkles on my neck but my jawline is not as sharp as it used to be and my neck skin is thinning and losing elasticity especially the lower part. It 'looks' fine part won't pass pinching test. Will Sculptra help? If yes, how much is required? (I am 1.6m tall, kind of common-sized Chinese 70cm waist)If no, alternatives? Other than being a filler, does Sculptra help inspire sel-grown collagen hence a longer-lasing effect than most fillers?

Fillers for Jawline and Neck Rejuvenation

To rebuild a jawline I like to use Radiesse, Voluma or Sculptra, depending on how the patient presents. This will not help with thinning neck skin, and completely rejuvenating the jawline, so I frequently combine fillers with Ultherapy to restore some definition to the jawline.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck Treatment

I would recommend a combination of fillers and a radio-frequency treatment.

If you inject fillers on the jawline it will give your jawline more definition and can lift the neck slightly. Sculptra can be injected in this area but is not a filler, it is a stimulator and takes about 6 months to notice improvement as the collagen is stimulated. Sculptra also takes a series of injections for best results. I would recommend Juvederm Voluma in the jawline. Voluma will give you instant results that can last up to 2 1/2 years.

As far as treating the neck and helping the elasticity I would recommend Thermage CPT. Thermage uses focused radiofrequency energy to stimulate the body’s own natural renewal process. A Thermage treatment can help improve the appearance of sagging or loose skin giving you a smoother, younger look with just one treatment and no down time.Most patients can see and feel a difference immediately after their procedure and continue to see improvement for up to six months as their skin regenerates collagen; these benefits can last for up to 2 years.

It is best to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist with plenty of experience treating these concerns to see what procedure is best for you.

For more information click on link below:

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

I recommend V-Shape

Great question. I recommend learning more about V-Shape; this radio frequency device will help to tighten the skin on the neck. Schedule an appointment with your doctor to decide if V-Shape is best for you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Sculptra and / or Ultherapy for the aging neck

Dear Paradiso:

It is not typical for the asian woman to have creases and lines but there is enough laxity to see mild sagging along the jowl, jawline and possibly neck. Currently, there are no less than 9 or 10 generations of heat producing laser or laser-like therapies such as Ulthera. They use light, ultrasound or radiofrequency to target deeper tissues and warm them to a temperature which produces collagen contracture, tissue injury and subsequent scar / collagen reactive production. The results have not been overwhelming and they do hurt reducing compliance by the patient.

Sculptra, a molecule of lactic acid is categorized by the FDA (USA) as a filler due to its indications decades ago for the use of facial wasting in AID's patients. Most recently, the drug has been tamed and used with greater dilution and improving success to firm and shrink skin by promoting cell turnover and fibroblast production of elastin, collagen, glucosaminoglycans and other rejuvenating building blocks of the skin. While the major concern of nodule formation has receded, it is not zero and must be monitored. 

I have had an opportunity to visit with and learn from many of the Sculptra Specialists and find that the techniques are in evolution. Initial use in the face has now expanded to the lips, eyes, neck, decollete, hands and other sites. 

Sculptra is not a novice use medication. Consult with the very best, well experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Injector for your best options and results. 

I wish you the very best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Sculptra can improve the appearance of the neck, without actually treating the neck directly.

By adding Sculptra, a collagen stimulating product along the cheek bone, upper anterior and lateral cheek and temples, we can lift the collection of tissue that accumulates along the jawbone (jowl) and redistribute that volume back and up where it once was.  This will have a direct effect on the appearance of the jawline and neck, which will now be tight and more lifted. Putting volume back where it once was along the cheekbone changes the perspective of the face, makes you more heart-shaped, gives you more definition and more youthfulness.  

Theresa M. Jarmuz, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Aging neck

To my knowledge, Sculptra cannot be injected into he neck. It can be used along the jawline and can therefore define it more, and yes you do have the effects of sculptra longer, because it stimulates your body to produce its own collagen.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Treating the aging neck

The neck is the most common area of concern with regards to aging skin. A combination approach is best to treat the neck. I utilize a combination of Thermage which builds collagen and either Sculptra or Juvederm depending on the desired results. Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a a lot of experience with lasers and injections for the best cosmetic results.