I Have a Completely Flat Chest but I Have Puffy Nipples. Is This Gynecomastia? 6'1'190lb

I am 6'1' and 190lbs. I am extremely athletic and am a pitcher. I have always had these puffy nipples but no other symptoms. My chest is completely flat otherwise. Is this hormonal? Is it gynecomastia? Should I see a plastic surgeon or a hormonal doctor?

Treating Puffy Nipples

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.
As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.

#PuffyNipple surgery generally takes only an hour or two, and the recovery time is short; sometimes less than a week. There is minimal scarring and the success rate is excellent. Therefore, patients who suffer from "Puffy Nipples", and who view it as an unaesthetic and unpleasant condition, may desire surgical intervention to correct the "puffy nipple" condition.
Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Puffy Nipples is Gynecomastia

Hi kdmkls,

Thanks for the post. Based on your description you do have gynecomastia. Simply put it is an excess of glandular tissue that causes a more feminine shape to the chest. It can be just under the areola or can encompass the entire chest. The cause of your gynecomastia can't be determined without seeing a physician. I recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia. A thorough history and physical and perhaps a hormone panel should be performed. If there is no underlying medical cause, then you would be a candidate for surgery.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

It is possible that you have excess subareolar breast tissue.  An exam by a qualified plastic surgeon will give you the answer and treatment options of any are needed.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Puffy nipples

Yes, it can be. It can be excess fat, glandular tissue or sagging skin. This may be caused by a variety of reasons, including hormones and certain medications.

Please see your doctor first for a physical examination. Best of luck.

Puffy nipples in a male

A photograph of your condition would be beneficial.  Many times puffy nipples in males is associated with gynecomastia. When the gynecomastia is corrected the nipples generally shrink down as well.  You should be evaluated by a plastic surgeon for this condition and to review treatment options.

Puffy nipples on a flat chest can be gynecomastia

Gynecomastia can be caused by excess male breast tissue, excess fat, or a combination of both.  Excess breast tissue under the nipple, without excess fat, can cause a situation like yours.  Have an examination by a plastic surgeon who can diagnose your situation.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

From your brief description it seems that you likely have gynecomastia.You have not provided many details ,I would recommend you see someone with experience in dealing with gynecomastia.

Your description is consistent with  gynecomastia;  however, direct examination by your primary care physician or plastic surgeon will be necessary for definitive diagnosis.

It is difficult to diagnose without an examination. Gynecomastia is usually (75% of the time) not due to any other casue other than bad luck but sometimes due to testicular or other tumors, medications such as cimetidine, marijuana use, or other odd disorders like Klinefelters. A quick exam can rule all of the these things out and if there is any question blood tests and/or CT scan can usually rule them out. Assuming your problem is just benign gynecomastia, nipple puffiness may be caused by fat under the nipple which by definition is gynecomastia. The treatment is direct excision or liposuction.