I was wondering if I am a candidate for rhinoplasty?

I am a 49 year old female with relapsing remitting Multiple Sclerosis in stable condition. I also take 30mg of Prozac per day and .5 mg of Klonopin per day. I was wondering if either the MS or the medications I am taking prevent me from being a successful rhinoplasty candidate?

I was wondering if I'm a candidate for rhinoplasty?

It's important to tell your operative surgeon and anesthesiologist that you have multiple sclerosis and get clearance from your primary care physician before electing to undergo cosmetic surgery. It is possible to undergo the surgery as long as the multiple sclerosis is stable 

With M.S., am I a candidate for a rhinoplasty?

As long as your physician treating your multiple sclerosis feels that you are stable and a good candidate for the surgery and anesthetic, then a rhinoplasty is an option for you.  The Prozac and the Klonopin would not prevent you from having the surgery.  I would discuss the procedure with a board-certified plastic surgeon as well as your Neurologist.  Good Luck. 

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Candidate?

For any surgery your safety comes first. I have seen a few people undergo cosmetic surgery with MS. The most important thing is that you are stable. I would also recommend that you get the approval of your neurologist before going ahead. Since the rhinoplasty  can possibly be done under local anesthesia instead of a general anesthetic this would be a plus. I would speak with your neurologist first, if they approve, seek out a board certified surgeon with extensive experience in rhinoplasty. 

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Certainly there are patients on those medications who undergo rhinoplasty. Regarding MS, your neurologist would be the best one to talk to you about whether you have additional risks undergoing general anesthesia. Some surgeons perform rhinoplasty under sedation but anesthetic drugs are still used. Hope that helps!

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon