Which would you recommend for Voluma: Cannula vs. needle for cheeks?

I intend to try Voluma, I have never had a filler before. Doing my research, it seems everyone loves the cannula, even with Voluma's consistency. The injector, who is very experienced at a high-volume PS office, prefers cannulas for lower face only (chin/prejowel area) and uses a needle for cheek, saying a cannula isn't needed for cheek, needle is better. Does this sound right, and are there any questions/concerns I should have? Thanks a lot.

Cannulas and Needles Can Inject Voluma into the Cheeks

As an educator and teacher of injectables I can tell you both cannulas and needles work well as vehicles for injecting Voluma in the cheek area. More important is the expertise of the practitioner. Because using a blunt cannula requires only one entry point, this technique may result in less bruising and swelling. Also along the medial cheek it is a safer alternative to needle.  Along the lateral cheek I prefer needle but if you inject all the time you can accomplish similar results with either.  Please consult with a board-certified dermatologist to choose the process that's best for the results you want.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Needle vs. Cannula

Excellent question! Every physician has their own preference regarding using a needle vs. cannula to inject fillers. I am one of the pioneers of the blunt cannula approach and believe that it is the most beneficial ways to administer fillers like Voluma. The cannula approach has many benefits for the patient including reduced risk of swelling and bruising and less discomfort during the procedure. Using a blunt cannula, I can inject the fillers in multiple areas of the face all from just one injection site on each side. It always provides patients with excellent results with very little to no swelling and bruising. No matter what technique is used, it’s important to find a board certified physician who has a lot of experience injecting Voluma to help ensure that you get the best possible result.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Thank you for your question. Voluma can be injected with cannula or needle. Cannula is used to minimize bruising but both techniques are effective. I hope this helps!

Voluma injections in Santa Monica

Voluma is an excellent filler for the cheeks and midface. We use cannula and needle approaches for the Voluma filler.  If you have any bruising, we advocate use of the Plato's Bruise Balm.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Juvederm Voluma XC

Thank you for your question about Voluma.

Depending on the situation, we use both needles and cannulas for the placement of Voluma.

To be sure, see two or more licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have these treatments.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Obtaining best results with Voluma

I believe that the key to achieving best results with Voluma injections lies in the skill of the injector and not whether they used a needle our cannula to obtain their outcomes.  I would search for an injector who you feel is most likely to give you the best outcome and allow them to use whatever technique they prefer.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Voluma filler for facial volume can use a needle or cannula

The most important aspect in delivering a filler such as Voluma, well, is the provider's experience and technique.  Using cannulae or needles is a significant controversy amongst dermatologists and plastic surgeons.  There are different types of cannulae, some stiff, some flexible, some straight and some curved. Some physicians use them for all facial sites when injecting fillers, but many physicians prefer needles for accuracy. Some find the initial insertion of a cannula to be more traumatic to the skin because it does not have a sharp tip, and a needle goes in smoothly while a cannula has to enter through a tiny hole first made by a larger needle.
There is definitely, no one right way to inject fillers.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Which is #best for #Voluma injections - #cannula or #needle ?

This is a great question. I inject alot of Voluma and use both techniques. For more subtle refinement of a cheek the cannula alone is great. If someone has moderate to significant volume loss I find that needle injections to create the foundation for the cheek followed by fine tuning with more superficial cannula injections are best. Once you've found the right physician injector, you can discuss their technique. There is no reason why great results can't be achieved with either technique in the hands of a skilled injector. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma and Method of Injection

Voluma is an excellent facial injection to achieve a beautiful natural look for the mid-face. The skill of the injector is more important than the needle chosen.  Voluma is injected deeply and the risk of bruising and discomfort is minimal.  Proper placement of the needle is most important to achieve the best results.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Voluma and other facial cosmetic injections.

Voluma can be injected safely and with excellent results with either a cannula or needle.  A cannula is like a needle but has a blunt tip.  Many facial plastics surgeons, including myself, believe the blunt tip of the cannula lowers the risk of bruising and complications.  However, the skill of the injector (and not just the decision between cannula or needle) should be an important criterion when deciding on Voluma injections.

The attached link provides more information.

Timothy R. Miller, MD