How long do I have to wait to get a Tummy Tuck after weight loss surgery ( gastric vertical sleeve)?

I would suggest that you wait until you have reached your long-term stable weight prior to seeking consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate lots of examples  achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. 

Then, communicate your goals carefully. Learn about the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with the operations discussed. Achieving realistic expectations will be important as well.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider options.   Best wishes.

One year

• Studies have shown that patients have optimum weight loss at about one years time. I like my patients to have a stable weight for three months prior to surgery. This ensures the best result in terms of removing the excess skin. It's also important to make sure that your nutritional status is optimum. Many patients that undergo gastric bypass procedures have problems with anemia, low albumin (a protein level that needs to be normal in order to promote healing) as well as abnormal liver function. Lab work needs to be within 4-6 weeks prior to surgery particularly on patient's who had gastric bypass procedures

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Body contour surgery after weight loss surgery

I would wait approximate one year after your surgery to make sure that you have healed properly and have a stable weight. 

What is the wait time for tummy tuck surgery after weight loss surgery?

Thanks for your question!

You should absolutely wait until your weight plateaus before having a tummy tuck.  You want to have a stable weight to ensure that your results will be lasting.  Typically, this happens around 6 months following gastric sleeve surgery. Make sure to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon at that time.

Good luck!

Weight loss and tummy tuck

Hi.  Ideally, you'd want to wait for the majority of your weight loss to have happened, and for your weight to have stabilized at its new plateau for 3-6 months.  Then, we can accurately see what kind of loose abdominal skin we have to tailor during the tummy tuck.  Congratulations on taking the big first step with your  gastric sleeve procedure.

Tummy tuck after weight loss surgery

Once your weight loss has stabilized after a gastric sleeve for about six months, then you can consider a tummy tuck. It's important that your weight loss plateaus before having tummy tuck surgery. Consult with a few board certified plastic surgeons before making your decision.

William Bruno, MD