Dry, flaky skin post facelift.
Doctor Answers 7
Dry skin after surgery
Dry skin after a facelift
The key is hydration without too much occlusion. The SM dermal repair is reasonable, but other options like Obagi's Hydrate or SM TNS are also office fav's.
Flaking skin after face lift
This is a long time to be still having problems.
- Dry lips are often caused by subclinical cold sore outbreaks
- If you have ever had cold sores, ask your surgeon for a trial prescription of Valtrex.
- If your lips improve in 2 days or less - that was causing or contributing to dry lips.
- The flakiness is from your skin not shedding the outer layers of skin fast enough.
- (it can be worsened if weather has been very cold.)
- A topical glycolic cream along with a glycolic peel should help.
- Flaking ears are unusual - if you have ever had psoriasis or any skin condition, consider seeing a dermatolofist if things aren't settling down in a few weeks.
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.
You might also like...
Best of Luck
A. Dean Jabs M.D. Ph.D. FACS
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Bethesda MD/McLean VA
Dry, Flaky Skin following Facelift
At the the time of any surgery but in this case, facelift surgery, there is a immediate lack of flow to the skin. The skin recovers by increasing heart rate, heart pumping and vessel dilation to reduce the risk of skin loss due to ischemia. It is not unusual for the epidermis to respond with dryness, flaking and at times blistering.
Now that you are 6 plus weeks following surgery, the risk of skin loss has passed and it is time to stimulate a pleasing skin texture, normalization of the scar and remodeling process in addition to your new perkier, lifted face.
Gentle cleansers are good! Scubs maybe good depending on your skin quality. Moisturizers, all depend on your skin oiliness or dryness (obviously now, it is dry).
It is my recommendation that you find and consult with a Skin Care Specialist, particularly one that is a Certified ZO (Obagi) Skin Health Specialist or on his Faculty to carefully introduce Retinoids and/or non-retinoids, hydroquinones and/or non-HQs (a pharmacological level of care), proper moisturizers, anti-oxidants and protection to properly up-regulate and transform your skin quality to a rosy, moist, rejuvenated quality.
You have invested a lot in your facelift! Stimulate it and care for it to last longer than the normal aging and environmental factors against it.
I hope this is helpful! All the best!
Dry skin after a facelift.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.