Explanation with breast reduction surgery. (photos)

10 years ago I got small saline implants to correct uneven breasts (DD) after four pregnancies my breasts are now a 36N cup. They are very low and saggy and also very uneven again. Do I have to undergo two separate procedures? Can explantation be done in office? How long after explantation must I wait to get the reduction? Can they be done at the same time? Also I'm currently lactating (not lactating I'm still a 36 L/M). How long must I wait after I finish lactating until procedures can be done?

Can a breast reduction be done at the same time as implant removal ?

When a patient decides to remove her breast implants, a breast lift or reduction is commonly performed at the same time

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

At this point you have to give your breasts time to shrink a bit one you stop lactating. Then perhaps a reduction may be necessary and possibly the implants can be removed at the same time.

Breast Reduction

You are an excellent candidate for removal of the implants and breast reduction to be done at the same time. You will likely require the more lengthy scar pattern given how large the breasts appear in your photos. I would recommend you wait at least a year after lactation before proceeding with surgery. Best of luck.

Implant deflation and possible lift two weeks later

I offer my patients with saline implants the option of deflation under local anesthesia to let the breast tissue shrink and then do the lift. You need to wait at least three months after lactation to make sure that your breasts size is stable.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Explanation with breast reduction surgery.

Thank you for your question and photos.  No doubt once you are no longer lactating you could see a plastic surgeon to discuss your goals.  It is common to have implants in one's youth and over time have the breasts develop more and sag due to pregnancy.  Removal of the implants and a reduction (which would also lift the breasts) could be done as a single procedure.  I would start with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you.   Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

You can have the implant removed and a reduction performed at the same time.  I would recommend waiting 3 months after breast feeding is complete to have the surgery.   Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Yes, both explantation and reduction and lift can be done concurrently with a breast specialist. The blood supply and anatomy is critical 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Answers to your questions

1. Wait at least 3 months once you have stopped lactating2. Can absolutely have explantation at time of breast reduction.  You do not need two surgeries.  I would recommend getting the implant deflated (popped) in clinic now though.  It will make things even safer and give a better picture of the asymmetry that existed before.3. Because weight affects breast size, I would also say get to your goal weight prior to surgery.  I know that's hard but you only want to have this surgery once and get things as perfect as possible!!Best of luck and I hope this helps.-JGH

Breast Implant Removal

being still breast feeding (lactating). You need to wait 3-6 months after you stop lactating before any surgery is contemplated. By then you are hormonally stable and back to normal. Explant must be done first. Three months later a breast reduction can be done. Having had breast implants before, the breast reduction need to be customized based on the incisions used for inserting the implant. No science behind any need for detoxification, antifungals and so on

Thank you for the questions and pictures.  Much will depend on your physical examination (factors such as degree of breast ptosis, current position of breast implants, number of previous operations, assessment of breast skin quality/elasticity…) and your plastic surgeons' clinical judgment.     Having said that, based on the information posted, it is most likely that you will be able to undergo the breast implant removal and breast reduction surgery at the same time.  You will be best off achieving your long-term stable weight (if you are not there already) prior to proceeding. Also, best to have completed  lactation at least three months prior to the   breast surgery.  You will find, that in most practices, the procedure is done under general anesthesia (not an "office procedure").

My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she has significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Then, communicate your size goals carefully as well. In our practice, this is best done with the help of goal "photographs.   I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.