Smoking Marijuana 3 days after FUE transplant??

What will happen to the hair if one is to smoke marijuana 3 days after FUE HT?

Grafts or weed

In general smoking is not a healthy vice to have. Smoking will decrease the oxygen blood levels and decrease blood flow to a healing wound.  We recommend patients refrain from smoking 3 days prior to surgery and hold off for a week afterward.    Your hair grafts will thank you!!!!

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking is not recommended after surgery. This includes smoking marijuana. If you are concerned, don't do it.

Smoking is not recommended after surgery.  This includes smoking marijuana.  If you are concerned, don't do it.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking

I would not recommend smoking anything for at least the first week, as your body is healing after transplant. You decrease the amount of blood flow and oxygen that goes to the grafts, which can lead to poor graft growth. We don't yet know the effect of marijuana on hair growth, and you just made a big investment! It's not worth the risk. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Probably not a good idea

I agree with Dr. Rassman -- there are no studies so we can't tell you for sure.  What I can tell you though is that anything that may make you cough will increase the pressure in your scalp and could potentially dislodge the grafts.  You are making a big investment in your hair -- don't screw it up!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Smoking pot three days after transplant

The official stance is it is not a good idea; however, there is no documentation that say this so I can't prove that this is bad for you

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking after a transplant.

Smoking causes constriction of blood vessels and decreased blood flow to the scalp which can contribute to poor wound healing after a hair transplant and can increase the chance of a wound infection and scarring. Smoking may also contribute to poor hair growth. I recommend patients use the transplant as an incentive to quit smoking or wait 2 weeks before smoking. 

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon