FUE candidate - Hairline too low? (photos)

I had consultations but have been told I am asking for the hairline to go to low. I don't think I am looking at other people transplant they have a straight solid hairline. Also I have been told my donor area is very good and I don't have any hair loss at the Crown area. Only on temples. I want it done but only if I can achieve a dense and slightly lower hairline. I have drawn a line were i woulf like my hairline is this achievalbe.Thanks

Where should my hairline be?

It appears you already have a mature hairline.  Without knowing your family history, age or results of your microscopic exam, it is difficult to give you an accurate answer.   Looking at what you have drawn, your hairline is too straight.  Typically, the corners are 1 – 2 cm above the hairline in the mid frontal region.    Also, you do not want to densely pack the front so much so that the top and crown do not have enough hair for later down the road.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE is just a harvesting method. It does not relate to results. If you want a surgical recommendation you need an exam first.

FUE is just a harvesting method.  It does not relate to results.  If you want a surgical recommendation you need an exam first.  You need to see a doctor to better understand realistic expectations.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline isn't too low as long as...

You are realistic in the outcome of this procedure. It is important to assess your hair loss pattern prior to designing your hairline. Also, pictures from when you were younger would help determine if this is realistic or not. 

If you are experiencing no further hair loss and this is the look you wish to achieve it is doable.

Ben Talei, MD

FUE candidate

Yes, hair grafting/ transplant be an option or forehead reduction and correcting  asymmetry on your frontal hair line/forelock. I advice you have a FUE with  1800-2000 grfats ; you would get the desired hairline in just one sesssion of dense packing hair transplant.

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hairline

I think you can lower your hairline but it's important temporal recession remains.  However, I would caution you when lowering the hairline that density will be much lower in the transplanted area.  Therefore you may have too much of a transition zone from the hairline to the native density.  I suspect you will likely be displeased with the transplanted density compared to the native density.  It will likely require 2 procedures to create the density you are looking for.

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

It's close!

What you've drawn looks reasonable.  The temples are a little off -- it's best to have them a little more curved. You could probably bring down the hairline a little more, but that requires more grafts. Next, decide between FUT and FUE. I think that the scar should be avoided whenever possible so certainly in someone with a dense donor area, FUE would work very well.  Also, the grafts need to be blended back in to your hairline to make sure it looks natural in the years to come.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

What is the lowest possible hairline location?

Hairlines tend to elevate naturally as you age.  One might say that you have a mature hairline currently.  You can certainly lower the hairline to the point you desire.   However, this is going to be a permanent decision if you make it.  You still might loose hair later on in life, which will require you to fill in behind this hairline location.  That means more work later on.  Also, if you have loss in the crown later on, the low hairline may not look appropriate for your age and degree of hair loss.  You should consider your age and family history for hair loss when making this decision.  Also, the only way to truly evaluate the potential for crown hair loss is to compare the cross sectional trichometry in the donor area to the crown, top, and front.  If the number is lower in the crown or top than in the donor area, you can bet that you are going to have crown hair loss.  There are not many physicians who do this test because it costs money to do the test.  Finally, you need to find a good physician to build this for you.  You can't reverse what you are considering easily if the work is poorly performed.  

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline location

The  way to tell where to put the hairline is to lift your eyebrows up so that your forehead shows wrinkles on it, then place your hairline one finger breadth above the highest crease. The hairline you drew is still slightly higher than this rule dictates.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon