Is 400cc too big without looking "busty"? 5'3, 102lbs, nursed 4 children 34 fullA/small B. I thought 300-350cc. (Photo)

Based on BWD14/14 Mentor suggests 385 classic and 475 mod+. For the upper fullness I'm looking for Mod+ but 475cc is way too large for my petite frame. My PS suggested I try 400cc based on measurements and wish pics. It looked quite nice with clothes; a bit large w/out. I don't want to push my limits, appear too large or incur complications for going to large or make my recovery harder than it has to be. I really appreciate your professional opinion!

400 cc too busty?

400 cc implants may probably look to "busty" for your frame. I recommend 350-375, which I believe will give you great results.

400 cc too big

I think going to 375 would be fine.i think the choice you need to make is do I want to err on the side of too big or a little too small.At 375 you will look awesoem and can't go wrong.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right implant

It appears as though you've found the right implant.  As long as you like the look when you place samples of the implants in your bra then you've made the right choice.  Good luck!

Is 400cc too big without looking "busty"? 5'3, 102lbs, nursed 4 children 34 fullA/small B. I thought 300-350cc.

Thanks for your question. Implant sizing should be based on physical requirements as determined by your surgeon, patient's anatomy and the patient's desires. In your cae you should consider compromising.

I would suggest you go with a 375cc, smooth silicone gel, moderat + profile to obtain the most natural results. Good luck

400 mL implant may be fine

Thank you for your pictures. A 400cc implant is not unreasonable. It's going to be based on your measurements/examination and really your surgeon's judgment. At the end of the day you want to make sure that you a breast augmentation that you're satisfied with. Most women really would like to be fuller rather then not.

Is 400cc too big

In my opinion, you need to think a little about when and under what conditions you want the upper pole fullness. If you want that when you are not wearing a bra, then you likely will need the larger implant. If you want it in a bra only, then a slightly smaller size with a push up insert will get you there. I understand that it might not make sense to have a breast augmentation and then still use a push up bra, but an augmentation only makes you larger, it buy itself does not create cleavage without a bra. Upper pole fullness require a larger and firm breast. So you need to think about that and discuss it with your surgeon.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift™

At size 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.400 cc implants will take you up 4 cup sizes from a small B to small F.After reviewing your photographs, it is more important to reposition and reshape your breast.Your breasts have descended down the chest wall and your nipples are too far apart.I recommend a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift™.Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.Through the same incision, implants can be placed.Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant.Small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it.22% of women who undergo breast augmentation alone require revision within 2 years because they are dissatisfied with the result.Frequent causes of dissatisfaction are over implantation and not performing a lift when needed.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right implant.

It's easy to get hung up on "cc's"(350 vs 400).The best way to decide is to choose a photograph of the breast size that you like of a patient with your body-type.Another good way is to use computer imaging methods that are available.

Burr von Maur, MD

Implant Sizing

This is perhaps the hardest decision for a patient to make, as well as the surgeon. Cup size estimates can be misleading, but I generally advise patients that they will experience an increase of approximately one cup size per 200 cc. You can try on implants in the office by placing them into a special bra.Approximately 50 cc (1-2 oz.) is added to the final volume to account for flattening of the implant in the partial submuscular pocket. Once you decide on a size you like, then add on about 25-50 cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your tissues.Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy. Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer. Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan.Keep in mind larger implants tend to have more problems over the years.Since silicone implants wrinkle less than saline implants, they might be your best bet.

You can also approximate this at home by measuring out an equivalent amount of rice placed into a cutoff foot of old panty-hose, and put this in your bra.Wear this around the house for a while, and see what you think.Implant size must square with assessments of tissue cover, breast diameter, and chest wall width. Multiple measurements of your chest wall are taken (seven in total). Implant size selection has been an issue of much discussion.

Therefore, I use a wide variety of methods, but the implant size is always established preoperatively.Also, patients are advised to bring reference photos demonstrating their ideal size and shape. A photo album of patient pictures is maintained to assist them. These photos ultimately help in determining where the implants will be placed, since they can be shifted inside (to provide more cleavage), to the outside, up or superiorly, and down or inferiorly during surgery. In determining the final size selection, I always place the highest priority on the preoperative measurements and potential tissue cover. Then, the patient’s verbal requests are factored into the analysis.Our average size over the last 6,000 implants was 350.

Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Also, ask if they have an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year. Ask to see their before and after photos if you didn’t see any on their website. If they are experienced, they should have several 100 breast implant patients for you to view. I would also recommend that your doctor offer you the chance to talk to past patients who would be happy to discuss their experience with you. You need to feel comfortable, so make sure the environment is safe as in an accredited surgery center. Also, ask a prospective surgeon if he or she has ever published journal articles in professional peer-reviewed journals, which they can provide you.All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Aew 400cc breast implanrs too big without looking "busty"?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photographs and your breast base width you should be able to accommodate 400 cc breast implants without looking to Boston.

Be aware of the significant asymmetry in size between your to breasts which may need to be compensated for with a larger implant on the smaller size.  I suggest he revisit your plastic surgeon for another discussion and not rely on the Internet information.  For more information on choosing breast implant size please read the following link: