Young Male with narrow mandible; Facial fat grafting or surgical implants? (photos)

I want a hard edged, wide and square mandible. What are the advantages and disadvantages of undergoing facial fat graft implant versus surgical implants? Thanks

Custom Jawline Implant

To achieve the lower facial look that you desire this has to be done using implants and not fat or fillers. Only an implant can provide the push on the overlying soft tissues to create better definition and jaw shape. And the implant that does that the best, by far, is a total jawline implant made from a 3D CT scan. This provides the needed size and shape along the entire jawline to create the effect you seek.

Fat Versus Implant

I recommend a combination approach for facial contouring: implants for chin in combination with facial contouring with fillers as needed. Thermitight, ultherapy, and Kybella can also be used to further contour the jawline. I recommend seeing an expert for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

Thank you for posting your question. From your pictures and question, I think mandibular implants can benefit you more. Fat transfer can add to the volume of your face, but it cannot really give the hard edged look you are looking for. Sialastic, an inert silicone substance, and Gore-Tex, a material poduct widely used in medical implants, are commonly used in implantation surgery. These materials are well tolerated and do not elicit a reaction from the body. I recommend looking at before and after pictures to find a physician who best suits your style and needs.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mandibular implants

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for mandibular implants.  I recommend medpor angle implants with screw fixation.  This can give a defined look, as opposed to fat grafting which can lead to an undefined and un-natural look.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Mandibular implant - fat grafting lipofilling

thank you for posting your question. A mandibular implant, for example like medpor, will give you more of a result that is defined and feels more "natural" like "bone" due to its firmness, compared to the softer lipofilling/ fat grafting. Lipofilling can be a good option correcting volume deficiencies or smaller contour irregularities. A combination of the 2 techniques is also a possibility. Often radiographic imaging like CT-Scan (3D reconstruciton) can be very helpful in the operative planning.  Discuss your goals with your surgeon, who is also considering your occlusion, facial bony structures as well as the facial soft tissue.

best wishes

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon