Fat grafting surgery and supplements?

I am having fat grafting surgery next week and I take the following supplements daily: msm powder, borage oil, vitamin e, vitamin c, alpha lipoic acid. Do I need to stop all of them? Would these supplements cause more swelling/bruising or affect results?

Vitamins before fat transfer

my recommendations to patients is to stop all vitamins and supplements one week before surgery.  Some supplements can thin your blood. The common things to avoid:

Vitamin E

Fish oil

Ginko biloba

Aspirin or ibuprofen or other nsaid

Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Supplements to speed recovery and healing with fat tranfer

There are no definitive recommendations for supplements to improve fat survival. However, I notice that you are taking Vitamin E. Excessive doses may cause increased bruising which is not good for the fat grafts. Some people feel that arnica montana supplements with bromelain may help to minimize brusing as well but the evidence is weak and not necessarily convincing. Doses are confusing.

Thank you for posting your question. The supplements you mentioned have not been studied to determine any correlation with recovery from fat grafting. Different physicians also have different protocols for what to avoid before and after different procedures. Your physician and nurses can give you a better answer. 

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting and Supplements

Many of the supplements you are taking haven't been studied well enough to determine their effect on fat grafting.  I would ask your surgeon though, as every doctor has their own protocols regarding what supplements to stop and when.  Best of luck!

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, Il

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Supplements & Surgery

There isn't much research on the effects of supplements and fat grafting procedures. Most offices have their own protocols regarding medications and supplements. I suggest contacting the Dr. performing your procedure. Best, Dr. Emer

Fat grafting surgery and supplements?

Nobody really nows the effects of supplements on fat grafting. Most plastic surgeons ask their patients to stop supplements 1 to 2 weeks before surgery. Ask your surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS