Can swelling make one nostril hang lower than the other? If this is a permanent affliction how can it be fixed? (photo)

I am 2 weeks post op from a revision rhinoplasty. My old nose had a indentation/deformation on the right side (PICTURE ONE) due to something collapsing in my nose - I don't remember the proper terminology. After my revision surgery the indentation seems to be gone but my nose still looks deformed. My left nostril (PICTURE TWO - right side if you're looking at the picture) hangs down lower than the other one. I did not have this issue before. Thank you!!

Alar asymmetry

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry you're having concerns after your surgery. If you had more grafts placed on the left, you can certainly have more swelling there, pushing the nostril down. 2 weeks is very early to make any judgment. Let the healing and skin tightening take its course. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, as they would know best what was done and what can be expected. If your issues persist after a year, a touch up revision can be considered. My favorite method to bring the ala down is to use composite grafts from the ear. Be patient, and good luck!

Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hanging nostril

Your nostril is likely hanging from swelling. Best to give it time to settle down. You likely had a graft placed on the one side for the weak alar.

Hanging nostril related to swelling.

Sometimes swelling can make the nostrils uneven. It is too soon to judge . Although it is unlikely that this asymmetry will go away completely and if you look at your pictures before the surgery it is possible that some asymmetry existed. Generally, it takes a year to be able to judge about the nose.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon