Erectile dysfunction post tummy tuck. Is this normal?

Just had a pretty major Abdominoplasty done, only 6 days post op but I am wondering if that is contributing to some ED I have and whether or not I should be worried. I am fairly young so ED shouldn't be a problem, and never has been in the past. Is this something that should fade away in a few days?

Thank you for your question. It is very important to consult this matter directly with your surgeon. Best of luck

You should follow up with your surgeon regarding this matter. I encourage my patients to refrain from anything that elevates heart rate and blood pressure for at least 3-4 weeks after abdominoplasty (including sexual intercourse). Best wishes!

Erectile dysfunction

Hi, Thank you for your question. I have not come across any issues involving erectile dysfunction after an abdominoplasty. 6 days post op is really too soon to be participating in any kind of sexual activity. I usually advise my patients to wait at least a month. I would follow up with your plastic surgeon to make sure you are following post op instructions and restrictions.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck should not result in long-term health issues

A properly executed male tummy tuck should not result in any long-term health problem.  In fact, studies have suggested that it could provide some health benefits--e.g., motivation to keep a stable weight, and increased satiety (possibly since it removes fat cells that are believed to contribute to hunger signals).

Also bear in mind that it takes about 6-8 weeks to fully recover from tummy tuck.  For this reason, you may notice that you easily tire (or feel somewhat lethargic) during this period. 

Good luck and best wishes.

Medication related

Most likely this is the result of the pain medications that you are taking.  It is not something that you need to worry about.

ED after tummy tuck

If it's only been 6 days since your surgery, you are really taking a risk with your wound healing trying to have sex this early.  Your body is trying to tell you something.  Fatigue, medication, and postoperative pain and swelling can all play a role here.  Discuss this with your doctor and follow his/her instructions.

George H. Pope, MD

Thank you for sharing your question.  ED after a tummy tuck is rare but may be due to a combination of factors - anesthesia, prescription pain medication, urinary catheter placement, etc.  In most cases this resolves spontaneously but you should inform your surgeon of your ED, they can offer you the best advice based on the specifics of your tummy tuck.  Best wishes.