Would a full tummy tuck also remove fat from my pubic region and help with buried penis?

I'm a 24 year old male with severe depression and social anxiety due to my body contour. I'm in the process of losing weight and I've lost close to 90 pounds so far (I'm 5'10 and 180 lbs). Besides severe gynecomastia and big belly, I also have a HUGE fat pad on top of my penis. In recent years, my penis's length has decreased and some of it is buried under the fat bad (I can feel it). I need a tummy tuck surgery and I'd like to know if it'll also remove pubic fat from the penis area or not.

Tummy Tuck Procedure Options

There are several procedure options for a tummy tuck that would help remove excess fat from different areas of the abdomen, above and/or below the belly button, which could help with the lower abdomen just above your penis. The standard procedure option listed below would most likely help if you are looking to remove fat both above and below the belly button:

Mini-abdominoplasty tightens the lower abdominal wall and skin below the umbilicus, belly button, only (shortest scar).

Modified abdominoplasty addresses conditions where just the muscle wall or just the abdominal skin requires repair.

Standard abdominoplasty tightens all of the abdominal wall skin and muscles above and below the belly button. The scar can be altered or lowered to be hidden by most underwear and bathing suits. (Standard scar).

Extended abdominoplasty tightens the abdomen and the flanks or sides (longest scar extending around the flanks onto lower back.)

Suprapubic fat

Yes, the fat in the suprapubic area can be trimmed down during the tummy tuck. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your concerns and options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Pubic treatment

Pubic area can be treated at the time of a tummy tuck through a liposuction or a pubic lift procedure.Congratulations on your weight loss.The issue of 'severe depression' is something that surgery will likely not correct and I would recommend seeing a psychiatrist and discussing the surgical options before proceeding with any surgery.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Panniculectomy and buried penis

Yes, a panniculectomy or a tummy tuck will help treat a buried penis. The procedure removes the excess skin and fat in the lower abdomen, including above the pubic area. This can help expose the penis and help with hygiene problems related to the excess suprapubic tissue. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an exam and good luck!

Salem Samra, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Male tummy tuck

Congratulations on your weigh loss!  As you know, obesity can create a pannus, or hanging apron of skin and soft tissue from the lower abdominal wall.  Weight loss can minimize the adipose deposits, but often the lax skin persists, and can in fact hang lower, obscuring the genitals.  In addition, it is not uncommon for males to develop fat deposits of the pubis with weight gain.  Fortunately an abdominoplasty with liposuction can elevate, tighten, and reduce the suprapubic tissue, rejuvenating the entire lower torso.  Consider formal consultation so that your anatomy can be assessed, but know that the combination of weight loss and surgery likely can produce significant improvements for you.

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Male TT

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that this problem is bothering you so. The answer is, yes, a tummy tuck (with liposuction of the pubic region) would likely improve the problem you are talking about. It's a big surgery, but most males tend to have a smooth recovery with this procedure since we rarely have to tighten up the abdominal wall muscles as we do in females. I would visit a plastic surgeon near you for a consultation. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon