What is the different between Male Tummy tuck and female tummy tuck?

I'm a 24 year old male (5 feet 10 inches tall and 165 lbs). I've recently lost roughly 90 lbs and I'm interested in tummy tuck surgery. I'd like to know what is the different between male tummy tuck and female tummy tuck? I looked at MANY before/after photos of people who had tummy tuck and saw that female had better results after tummy tuck. Why is that? I want a very tight/flat belly. I believe my abdomen muscle is VERY LOSE and it looks like I have a basketball inside. I want flat belly!

Different Tummy Tuck Procedures

Hello and thank you for your question. While I understand the different "before and after" results you have seen, it is basically the same option of tummy tuck procedures available to both women and men. They exist as follows:

Mini-abdominoplasty tightens the lower abdominal wall and skin below the umbilicus, belly button, only (shortest scar).

Modified abdominoplasty addresses conditions where just the muscle wall or just the abdominal skin requires repair.

Standard abdominoplasty tightens all of the abdominal wall skin and muscles above and below the belly button. The scar can be altered or lowered to be hidden by most panty lines and bathing suits. (Standard scar).

Extended abdominoplasty tightens the abdomen and the flanks or sides (longest scar extending around the flanks onto lower back.)

Now, it relates more to the appropriate procedure in relation to your situation rather then whether you are male or female. There are always post-op healing complications and difficulties, while swelling can be an issue for several months after surgery including swelling in the pubic area above the penis. So, it will take some time to wait for the full results to appear. Good luck.

Tummy tuck

The difference is the anatomy that you start with not the technique or the skills that are used to to create the results.

Differences is tummy tucks

There is frequently the misconception that male patients don't need reconstruction of the abdominal wall with plication of the muscles, because they haven't been pregnant, but when male patients gain weight, the visceral fat will stretch the muscles and make them loose.  Consult a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience on patients after weight lose and discuss all your concerns. I am sure he or she will work with you to get your goal of a flat tight belly.

Male vs. Female Tummy Tuck

Great question.  The flatness you ultimately achieve will depend on how much fat is inside the abdomen, around the organs.  There is not a lot we can do for this except manage it with diet and exercise.  Surgery can flatten the abdominal wall but if there is too much visceral fat, it may not be completely flat.  However, the overall appearance will be better.  Men who have mainly loose skin and not much visceral fat will see very nice results when under the care of an experienced surgeon.  There are a few fine-point differences when doing the procedure on a man, but the overall operation is very similar.  

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Male Abdominoplasty

Congratulations on your weight loss!  As you know most patients who have lost that amount of weight have significant skin laxity and may have muscle laxity, as men tend to loose "visceral fat."  Weight loss tummy tucks should be able to address muscle laxity, residual fat deposits, and loose skin.  The differences between male and female procedures are important.  I try to make the incision more flat as I find the curved suprapubic incision can look feminine.  In addition it is important to be conservative with waist / flank contouring to avoid too narrow of a waistline.  Finally, the shape of the umbilicus needs to be considered, as a small, vertical, hooded umbilical does not look masculine.  Best of luck as you consider your options.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Male Tummy Tucks

Nice job on the weight loss. A 90lbs loss is impressive! Surgical techniques are generally similar whether you are male or female, and it is the skill of your surgeon and their understanding of your goals that make a patient's results satisfying. A frank and honest discussion of your goals with a board certified plastic surgeon can help improve your outcome. For men, I may avoid creating an overly hourglass shape (cinched in waist) but again, this depends on the goals of the patient.

The actual procedure is very similar between male and female tummy tucks in that excess skin and fat are removed and the muscles typically tightened.The major difference are the subtle nuances that can be performed. The female umbilicus (belly button) has softer curves with a more vertical orientation while the male has less curvature and more rounded. I also frequently do some abdominal etching on males. This entails liposuction to recreate the look of a six pack. Each case should be customized and your goals should be discussed with your plastic surgeon.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Male vs female tummy tuck

The tummy tuck varies between each individual including male vs female. If you have loose muscles they can be tightened just like with women. If your tummy is flat when you lie on your back, it can be made flat in the OR. I do make my lower scar a little more masculine looking, but otherwise I try to fix whatever needs fixing. Find a surgeon who you like their TT photos and that has done males. Good luck.