Can Asymmetric Eyes or Eyebrows Be Fixed?

I am interested in fixing my asymmetrical eyes. One of my brows sits noticeably lower and that same eye looks much smaller than the other eye/eyebrow. Is this a problem that can be fixed to create a more balanced, symmetrical set of eyes for myself? I am a young woman in her twenties, not an older person so I am not sure what type of surgery would be best, but I plan on consulting soon. Thank you!

Asymmetry of brows and eyes

Some asymmetries can be fixed, others cannot.

Often, one globe (eyeball) is more deeply set than another. That means that it sits more deeply in the bone of the eye (orbital socket). This in turn causes many other asymmetries. The deeper eye will have more laxity (looseness) of the overlying skin, causing the upper eyelids to appear different.

There is often on the same side as the deeper set eye a flattening of the cheekbone, again causing the eye area to look different. There may be an orbital dystopia, where the eye bones are actually at different levels.

Brows can be at diffferent levels, or have different strengths of muscles functioning to cause the brow to appear different. The whole anatomy of every bone and muscle in the face comes into play.

Differences in the set of a globe cannot, for practical purposes, be corrected. However, a plastic surgeon who carefully analyzes the asymmetries of the face can come up with a plan that minimizes the asymmetries.

Nobody is completely symmetrical. A skilled and artistic plastic surgeon can point out the asymmetries and come up with a plan to minimize them. He or she can also point out which asymmetries cannot be fixed. You should feel comfortable after your consultation that your asymmetries were pointed out, recognized, and a plan included how to reduce the fixable asymmetries as much as possible.

Overall, asymmetries can often be minimized, but never completely removed.

Correcting Eyebrow Asymmetry

Brow lift can correct a static eyebrow asymmetry: if the difference in height or shape of the brow is present when the brow is relaxed.

Oftentimes, asymmetry is dynamic: a result of a difference in the tone of the forehead muscles.  Brow lift will not correct dynamic asymmetries.

This can be determined with careful examination.

Dynamic asymmetries can often be improved with BOTOX.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Correcting asymmetric eyebrows with browlift procedure

Asymmetric eyebrows can in fact be made to be more even, with some type of browlift procedure. The realistic goal is not to create perfect symmetry, but to help get closer to that goal and make a moderate improvement. This does not need to be a major procedure- many of the browlifts I perform are done under simple oral sedation, with a limited recovery time. It is important to note that, many times, asymmetric eyebrows can be associated with asymmetries of the eyelids as well, so this needs to be recognized pre-operatively so perhaps these asymmetries can be corrected or at least planned for.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Oculoplastic techniques could address this issue

Asymmetry of the brow and eyelids could be fixed by a variety of surgical techniques, depending on the specific asymmetry. A plastic surgeon with oculoplastic training should be able to address these issues.

The brow asymmetry could be addressed by unilateral brow lift. The eyelid asymmetry is fixed depends on the specific issues.

The key issue here is to communicate your requests and expectations to your surgeon to ensure that you will be satisfied of the final result.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Can Asymmetrical Eyes or Eyebrows Be Fixed

Yes, this asymmetry can exist. None of us have a symmetric face. However, we differ in the degree of asymmetry from subtle to obvious. The eyebrow is moved by two groups of muscles that raise and lower the brow.The cause of a low eye brow can be related to nerve damage to the muscle that elevates the brow, but this should be obvious. If you are able to elevate the low eyebrow then the muscle function should be fine. Sometimes the low eyebrow is normal while the one on the other side is too high. There are other factors that can affect an eye brow position and the size of an eye including droopy upper lid, skeleton shape of the orbit, which is the eye bone socket and the position of the eyeball inside the socket.

Mohammed Alghoul, MD

Correcting brow assymetry

Most techniques for brow elevations (open forehead lift, endoscopic brow lift, transpalpebral brow lifts etc.) will improve brow asymmetries.  However, if the asymmetry is due to a discrepancy in the orbital opening in the skull, the correction achieved will be short lived.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Brow asymmetry can be corrected

Yes, your asymmetry can usually be corrected with a browlift.  Probably, an endoscopic approach will work, but your surgeon can give you the best advice.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Symmetry

Yes this is correctable.  It really depends on the muscle strength and integrity. There are three muscles in play.  The frontalis muscle lifts the brow, the corrugator and the orbicularis depress the brow. 

You can try botox to position the brow but in my hands surgery is likely most the most successful option. 

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ways to Improve an Asymmetric Brow Line

There are a number of potential ways to make your eyebrows look more symmetrical. The first step is ensuring that it truly is your brow line which is asymmetrical, rather than your eyelids or the eyes themselves. Some patient see that one eye looks “less open” than the other and they assume one eyebrow is too low, when in fact, this appearance may be caused by excess skin above one eye, making the eyelid look “hooded.” At your young age, the asymmetry is likely caused by heredity.

If in fact your eyebrows themselves are the issue, there are two likely remedies: a brow lift (focused not necessarily on resolving excess skin and wrinkles like aging patients’ brow lifts, but on adjusting for symmetry instead) or Botox® injections. Botox® (as well as the similar product Dysport®) relaxes tense facial muscles which, in your case, may be pulling excessively on one of your eyebrows. On the other hand, if it is excess skin causing one of your eyes to look smaller, the most effective option is probably eyelid surgery (also called blepharoplasty) to remove the sagging skin.

The only way to know for certain which procedure above is ideal for your specific needs is to schedule consultations with one or more board-certified plastic surgeons who can examine you in person and explain the approach they would recommend.

John L. LeRoy, MD, FACS

Transfollicular brow lift is excellent for correcting brow assymetry

Great question.  To a greater or lesser extent, asymmetry of the brows is actually quite common.  Various approaches (endoscopic vs open approach) to the brow lift will yield varying potential for achieving symmetry. The transfollicular (an example of an open lift) brow lift yields the best option in most people with significant asymmetry - as excess forehead skin is easily trimmed - just behind the hairline - and the amount trimmed can be customized depending on the need of each individual side of the brow. Your facial plastic surgeon can discuss which type of brow lift would be best suited for your particular needs.

David Hartman, MD, FACS
Canton Facial Plastic Surgeon