Compression wrap after implant removal?

Typically how long is it recommend to wear ace wrap with compression bra after implant removal?

Years ago, we used to bind patients but there is no advantage to doing so and I have not used tight wraps fof YEARS!

I would ask your PS your question and take his/her advice. Your PS will be using the wrap to prevent haematoma / seroma but it needs to be comfortable for you.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Compression wrap after implant removal

how long to wear a compression wrap depends on a few things with your surgery. Sometimes, a surgeon will use a compressive wrap right after surgery to prevent hematoma, but this would only be good for a max of 48 hours. Thereafter, a compressive wrap is to try to prevent a seroma and in my experience, this is totally useless, especially if nothing is done with the capsule. Best way to avoid a seroma is to either leave a drain, or roughen up the capsule somewhat so that the slick surfaces will heal down together. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Ace wraps after surgery

I don't use ace wraps at all, and in fact being a surgical snob I say ace wraps are for amateurs. Sometimes they are a good idea for patients that are more likely to bleed, I suppose. For people with strong pec muscles I often apply a strap or band to the top of the breast, which prevents a strong pec muscle from pulling upward on a the implant post-operatively. Also post-op massage not found to be successful in large peer reviewed studies. Many doctors recommend this but it's old school.

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Explantation Recovery

Good morning! Thank you for your question. Each person could be different. You want to make sure the swelling and possibility of fluid collection is controlled. But it's typically a fairly easy recovery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options as each surgeon has their own protocol following this procedure. Best of luck to you!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

We recommend a very compressive bra after explantation such as the DrLinderbra which will reduce incidence of seroma. We also use drains for up to a week 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS