What will be my approx. Breast size after explantation?

Prior to getting my implants I was a 34A. After my implants I was a 34C. After 18yrs of having my implants I've grown to be 36DD. I'd like to know what to expect.

Depends on how much weight you have gained.

It sounds like you went up two breast sizes in the 18 years since you had implants placed.   Given that you started as a 34 A, my guess is that you'd be a C without implants..............but very likely, a breast lift would be helpful if you take the implants out completely.

How you can figure out what size you are after explant

If you go to a doctor with 3D imaging, like a Vectra, then it can estimate your size after explantation. I personally go in to the program and remove the volume of the implants and then we can see what will be left. Sometimes I am surprised at how much is in there, and how little you need the implants!! In your case sound like you may have a C worth of tissue since your implant grew you two cup sizes, so your current size 36DD - two cup sizes = C. Hopefully it's not all sag in the bra tho as I see that a lot :( Remember have the doc repair the muscle and bring the capsule cavity back in for an internal lift for best result.

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately there is no way to know what size breast you will be after implant removal as time, and the pressure of your implants, have likely caused some atrophy of your natural breast gland. Because your original implant resulted in a two cup size increase, I would anticipate losing at least two cup sizes, but with the deflation to your breasts, it may result in your breasts fitting differently into a bra.

There is no way to give a real answer but one might guess that if you went up two sizes with the implants, you might go down two sizes when they are removed. A surgeon that examines you will do better and can make a more educated estimate. If you have saline implants they can be deflated in the office and you will know precisely.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Size After Explantation

Good morning! Thank you for your question. However, without knowing the implant size and possible measurements, it's not easy to predict what size you will be. There are a few different factors that contribute to breast size changes. One of those factors is weight gain or loss. I think you will benefit from having a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon where you can have an in person examination and discuss your concerns and possible surgical outcome. Good luck to you!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question. Sorry, but online consultants will not be of much specific help to you when it comes to predicting what breast size you will end up after removal of breast implants.
Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
 Given your description of current breast size, breast lifting may be part of the conversation you have with  your plastic surgeon. In my practice, if a patient presents with "breasts in borderline position" or has doubts about breast lifting surgery, I suggest that they undergo breast implant removal only; breast lifting can always be done at a second stage, if necessary.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes with your decision-making and for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.