YAG laser hair removal worked better on lower setting?

Is it possible that this could be the case? I am a 20 year old female of indian descent and I have excessive hair on my face. I have had 5 treatments of yag laser hair removal on my face and so far I can only see the hair thinning. In the first two treatments on the lower settings i saw the most difference, hair was actually dropping out, whereas on the higher settings, no difference was seen. Is it possible that i respond to lower settings better? Should I tell the lady to lower the setting?

Laser hair removal for dark skin

Thank you for your question allie7843. Laser hair removal is a treatment for permanent hair reduction. Nd:YAG treatments are best suited for people with darker skin types. Over time, thinning of the hair can be seen. This is addressed by shortening the pulse width. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Laser Hair Remova for Darker Skin Types

Because of your darker skin type, your provider has to be very careful so that the laser does not target the melanin in your skin, but instead target the melanin in your hair follicle.  The slow and steady progression of treatments with an experienced provider, usually means that both the power settings and spot sizes of the laser are adjusted over time as the hair becomes less and as the remaining hairs "thin out".  For your skin type with a good technician and YAG, you can typically expect 8-10 or more treatments and the potential of continued "touch-up" treatments in the years to come (depending on your hormones and genetics).  Best of luck, Doc Halliday

Douglas Halliday, PhD, MD
Syracuse Facial Plastic Surgeon