I have swelling around jawline and bulbous tip after Rhinoplasty. Any suggestions?

Dear Drs, I had rhinoplasty with osteotomy (so ecpected lots of swelling) a week ago. The edema has moved from my cheeks to my neck and I have lost all definition in my jawline. Is this normal? My nose tip also looks very bulbous whilst the rest of my nose seems less swollen. Is this all normal? Thank you

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

Dear Awol999, It is common to have swelling in the tip after rhinoplasty and this swelling takes time to slowly dissipate. If you had extreme swelling and bruising in the cheek area then it is possible through gravity that this has effected your jawline appearance. I would not say this is normal or typical however it is possible. See your surgeon for your concerns and he/she will best be able to discuss your post operative healing. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Swelling expected 7 days following rhinoplasty

Swelling 7 days following rhinoplasty is expected.  Within the anatomy of the nasal region, the tip often becomes more swollen then the rest of the nose.  Swelling into the eyelid is especially common due to the frequency lateral nasal osteotomies.  The loose thin skin of the eyelids are especially distensile and can swell shut. Jawline swelling is less common but still possible due to gravitational pull.  Facial swelling following rhinoplasty is usually painless, soft, and self-limited.  Deflation is significant at 2 weeks with most of your facial contours returning to baseline by 1 month.  Unusual accompanying symptoms that should be brought to the prompt attention of your surgeon include tissue redness that spreads, fever, intense tissue warmth, and pain with progression.  

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon