Gynecomastia Post-Op: Swelling/redness 6 days after surgery. Is this normal? (Photo)

Hi all, I have some swelling and redness 6 days after post-op. I noticed yellowish bruising around the edges of my chest around day 4 but the redness has recently increased. It does not feel like there is fluid around either nipple,there is no pain when I lightly press my chest, only some soreness underneath the nipple I've been taking my vitamins/antibiotics, sleeping at an angle, and not straining myself (no PC games / aerobic exercise) It looks a little more red in person than in the photos

Swelling & Redness 6 Days after Gynecomastia Surgery

A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.  #Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery due to the nature of each breast to heal differently from each other.

If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Redness

It does not appear to be serious from the pictures.  However you definitely should discuss with your surgeon, especially if you are having fevers, drainage, or worsening swelling or pain, all of which could indicate an infection.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Redness After Gynecomastia Surgery

Although it is probably nothing of concern, I would check with your surgeon as redness can be a sign of infection.

Redness

Thank you for the question and photos but an examination is needed so see your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD