Does my doctor do my blood test or do I have to and how soon before the surgery day?

I currently live in another state from where im getting my BA and my doctor never mentioned anything about blood work. His nurse asked me if he was going to check my blood but i had no answer. Because i dont live in the state where im getting surgery im not sure how long before i can get it done and if i can go on my own out here and do it. Also does insurance cover the meds for post op?

Pre op blood tests

in my practice, blood tests need to be within 30 days of the surgery. However, whether or not you even need blood tests depends on your general health and if you take regular medications. If I do ask for labs, I usually only get a CBC, which looks for anemia and infection, and a BMP, which looks for electrolyte salt balance. If you have no health indication that you would have any of these issues, there is no reason in my mind to have labs done. Agree with the pregnancy test on the morning of surgery for reproductive age females, however! 

Your insurance should cover the medications, but there are exceptions to the rule. Generic Pain meds and antibiotics are covered, often anti-nausea medications (Amend) are not. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Does my doctor do my blood test before breast implants or do I have to and how soon before the surgery day?

It is very important that to speak to your plastic surgeon to answer this question.  Many patients do not require preoperative blood testing but this is based on medications that she take, medical illnesses you have possibly, and your age.  Vascular plastic surgeon and did not rely on Internet advice.  If you do need bloodwork her general practitioner can order it but it may not be covered by insurance.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Best to discuss this question with your surgeon.  I require lab work and sometimes imaging on all my patients 2 two weeks prior to date of surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Lab work

Thank you for your question.  You should call your surgeon and ask if he/she is wanting labs on you.   Every surgeon is different.  In my practice I get routine labs on all my patients prior to surgery.  Depending on medical history/background I will ask for additional labs if needed.  Depending on your insurance plan, lots of times the labs and medications will be covered by insurance.  Best of luck!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

You should talk to the surgeon about this. Like my colleagues, I don't routinely order blood tests on people who are getting routine cosmetic surgery unless they have a medical indication to be checked. Your insurance may or may not cover the medications. Most of the medications used are actually generic and pretty cheap, so I wouldn't worry about that.

You need to follow up with that surgeon for any complications, so be aware that you may need extra trips back to where ever it is that you are going.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Blood work before breast BA

Thank you for your questions.  Best to consult with your plastic surgeon regarding any pre-operative test that he/she may want.  Insurance coverage is best handled by speaking with your provider directly as insurance coverage does vary.  Best of luck.

Blood Work

I would definitely contact your doctor again to see if they require blood work.  There is no set guideline and would be at the discretion of your surgeon.  In my practice we only require labs on patients over the age of 40 or if they have medical conditions that would require them.  If lab work is required it is best to do it within a week of surgery as some of the things we would be looking for can change quickly.  Your surgeon should be able to send a lab order to a hospital, clinic or laboratory near you.  Most insurance will cover routine medications without a problem.

Blood Work

If your surgeon orders blood work I think he would expect you to see your local doctor to have the tests done. Studies have shown for many years there is no benefit to doing routine blood tests on healthy surgical candidates under 60. That may not be true for patients that have certain illnesses or are on certain medications. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Blood test before surgery

If you are young and healthy, many surgeons would not get blood test routinely.  If you have something in your medical history that is of concern, then blood tests would definitely be warranted.  You should check with your surgeon to see if they want any tests done.  Usually, test done within one week are good, depending on the test.  If you are diabetic, knowing your blood sugar the day of surgery is important.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Blood tests procedure before breast augmentation surgery

I have my patients do their preoperative blood tests within the month of their breast augmentation surgery. If they are coming from out of town, they will often get their testing done locally. Health insurance often covers the post-op medications. Hope this is helpful and good luck to you. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon