1 Month Post Op BA stitches sticking out of incision. (photos)

I had a breast augmentation 1 month ago, out of state. My surgeon used dissolving stitches and closed the skin on top with surgical glue. At my 1 week post op a nurse cut what was sticking out at the time. However, I still have stitches sticking out at the inner sides of each incision. Do I need to go to a DR? I cannot go to my surgeon because he is out of state.

Stitches Sticking Out?

Most likely the suture can just be trimmed off at the surface of the skin without a problem but you should call the surgeon that did your surgery and ask them what they recommend.

1 Month Post Op breast augmentation stitches sticking out of incision.

Vascular general practitioner her family physician if he or she is willing to remove the sutures.  I would call your surgeon and make certain that they're dissolving sutures.  If they were superficial removal should be easy.

Spit Sutures

Your sutures will eventually dissolve but the ends which are sticking out can be carefully trimmed with a sharp pair of scissors- preferably by your doctor or nurse. Small openings like this will usually close with no issue as long as you keep the area clean.

All the best

Spitting knots

It would recommend you have someone (surgeon, nurse, derm) take a peek as your photo looks like you might be spitting the knots at the end of the incisions. It would be best to have them removed. In the meantime keep them clean and you could put antibiotic ointment on them. Share your photos and concerns with your surgeon and see what they recommend. We would be happy to see you and help you out.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Spitting sutures after BAM

Hi peachy

You are correct in your diagnosis.

I recommend that you go to your doctor and have him remove the sutures before they get infected.

Should be easy enough, but let him do it.

All the best.

It is not uncommon for this to happen.  Depending on your comfort level the ends can be trimmed by you.  If you prefer you can visit your surgeon or another doctor to assist you.  The suture material beneath the skin will dissolve.

Camille Cash, MD

1 Month Post Op BA stitches sticking out of incision.

Thank you for your question. These are absorbable sutures. They can be trimmed at the skin surface by you or your PS. Nothing to worry.

The sutures can be trimmed at the surface with clean, sharp, scissors.  The trimming should be at the surface without causing any bleeding.

Exposed sutures

The exposed pieces of suture should be removed by you, your surgeon or other provider.  The sutures are suppose to dissolve, but some times they work their way out of the skin to the surface rather than dissolve.  This is not uncommon.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - sutures sticking out of wound

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• it looks as though the buried suture knots are rising to the surface before your body can dissolve them.
  • A doctor - ideally a surgeon - should remove them.
  • Surgeons are more likely to have the fine forceps and sutures needed for this but ask your regular doctor first if seeing her/him is easier.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS