How Long Do Butt Implants Last? When to Replace

Buttocks implants

Buttocks implants are permanent devices.  They are made of soft semi-solid material, unlike breast implants, so they do not rupture and thus do not need to be replaced.  They are usually the second choice for buttocks augmentation and shaping to liposuction and fat transfer.  Hope this helps and best of luck. 

Longevity of butt implants

Butt implants are not like breast implants. Butt implants are actually solid pieces of silicone plastic. They cannot leak or rupture. If placed properly, your body will tolerate the implant well and you will not have problems with excess scarring or displacement of the implants. If done appropriately, your implants should not need to be replaced

How will the implants last

We know that silicone is a stable material over many years. The implants are solid and therefore cannot rupture, so unless a major trauma was to displace them or an infection would develop there, they are expected to remain for the duration of the patient's life.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Buttock Implants Longevity

Unlike breast implants, buttock implants are made to be permanent because they are made of semi-solid soft silicone rubber not silicone gel...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Replacing buttock implants

Buttock implants are made of solid silicone which do not need to be replaced.  it's just important for them to placed in the correct position.

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Duration of Butt Implants

Butt Implants sold in the US are made of a soft SOLID silicone polymer. As such they do not leak and therefore do not need to be removed unless they become severely scarred, rotated or infected.

How often should buttock implants be replaced?

Although buttocks implants have been on the market for over 25 years, I am not aware of any study that addressed the issue of replacement rates.

For some reason, buttock implants have never caught on, even though techniques had been perfected way before fat grafting to the buttocks was refined.

Most surgeons who focus on buttocks reshaping are choosing fat grafting by a large margin. I do many butt lifts a year, and I haven't done a butt implant in over 2 years. It's just that when I sit down to explain the pros and cons, the cons for the butt implants far outnumber the cons for fat transfer.

Briefly put, the butt implant is a mechanical device, and as such it has a failure rate, much like breast implants. Fat, on the other hand, is yours, and the fat that takes is there for life.

Read more below:

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

How Long Do Butt Implants Last? When Do I Have to Replace Them?

This is a great question as many of patients are very young and they wonder when they will have to change out their implants. Well the good news is that there is currently no recommendation to change out your butt implants. As long as you love them you just keep.

The butt implants are a semi-solid silicone material. This make them very durable so that they can absorb the punishment that are butt takes on a daily basis from sitting and the occasional falls. Because the implant is a semi-solid material the implant does not leak. The implants are extremely durable.

The butt implants have become a great option for patients that are too thin for a Brazilian Butt Lift or want more augmentation than is possible with fat transfer alone. The durability of the implants typically gives patients a result that will last for years to come.

Lifespan of Butt Implants

Butt implants are made from a more solid silicone. The implants are intended to be a more permanent implant then a breast implant. As long as the butt implant is placed appropriately in the correct position and shape, it is unlikely the implant will need to be changed because of the implant failing or needing replacement.

Butt Implants Lifespan

Butt implants are made from solid silicone, therefore they do not need to be replaced. Best of luck!