After gynecomastia w/free nipple grafts. What is the best way to completely cover my areola/nipple/stitches so I can run again?

I am a runner and run half marathons and marathons. now that ive had gynecomastia w/free nipple grafts surgery I was told I could run again after 8 weeks. but I was told to completely cover the areola/nipple/stitches area and I don't know what to use that will not hurt or scrape over that area. can you recommend something so I can run again without fear of damaging the nipple grafts that will completely cover that entire area and not stick to the grafts or cause chafing. thank you.

Running After Surgery

You should start moving around once you up to it. Moderate walking around will help promote healing. Listen to your body, it will tell you if you are doing too much too soon. Do not return to strenuous activities or aerobic exercise for 4-6 weeks. If you want to know what activities are acceptable at any time during the healing process, please call our office.

Since you are 8 weeks post-op you would likely be ready to return to full activity and be able to run again. If you are worried at all, then you should visit your surgeon and have the area examined to make sure that healing is progressing well and get the OK to return to your running schedule. Good Luck!

Care of the nipple areolar complex after gynecomastia surgery.

Thank you for your question regarding the care of the nipple areolar complex after gynecomastia surgery. Each plastic surgeon is very particular about post-operative care. It is very important that you follow up with your plastic surgeon.

For my gynecomastia patients, I have them cover the nipple areolar complex with bacitracin. This is a topical, over-the-counter antibiotic cream that can be purchased at most pharmacies. I would apply approximately one teaspoon to each nipple areolar complex. On top of this, I would place a 2 x 2 bandage. I would then place an ACE bandage around the chest to keep the 2 x 2 bandage in place. In my practice, I try to avoid tape because it causes blisters. If you cannot or do not want to use the ACE bandage, I would suggest shaving a small area of your chest. Then you can use paper tape to keep the 2 x 2 bandage in place.

Good luck. If you have any other questions regarding your gynecomastia surgery recovery, please contact my office.

Sincerely, Dr. Katzen.

Covering nipples

Probably with a  non adherent dressing like tefla, but you should ask your surgeon what he prefers.  Best of luck.