What Is the success rate in reattaching the muscles after explanting? (Photo)

BA done in 1997, saline, under the muscles, went from 36B to 36C. Explant Sept 2015. Deformity when flexing occurred since day one. In Feb 2016 100ccs fat transfer to breasts to help with scar adhesions. Unsuccessful. The capsules were left in after explant. I understood from my pre-op that the incision would be made under the breast fold but on the day of surgery the doctor changed her mind and went through my areola again. Should I have a scar revision on the areola?

Breasts don't look right after implant removal

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

• Your photos suggest that your breasts are stretched and widened by the implants
  • And that the pectoral muscle is attached to the under-surface of the breast.
  • Your surgeon may have thought she could release this attachment more easily through the nipple.
  • I don't think an areolar scar revision is the answer -
  • I think you need further surgery, to free the pectoral muscle, suture it back to the ribs, remove any residual capsule and tighten and reshape your breasts with a small vertical lift.
  • This will not only restore the shape but reduce the risk of muscle reattachment to the breast.
  • I suggest you return to your surgeon and get one or more additional opinions before having more done.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

What Is the success rate in reattaching the muscles after explanting

You seem to have an animation deformity, which probably you had before the explant of the breast implant, and continue to have because the initial surgery detached part of the muscle off the chest wall and got re-attached to the breast tissue at the level of the areola. The explant should have concentrated on repairing the animation deformity and a capsulectomy done and re-attach the muscle to the chest waal and free the muscle from the attachment to the breast tissue.

As for the success of re-attaching the muscle back to the chest wall , it is very successful , but of course it depends on the experience of the surgeon.