FUE scabs - can you just leave them to fall off? (photo)

That picture is 16 days post op from having 2000 grafts densely packed into my receding hairline. I work from home so I was in no rush to rub off the scabs and thought I'd simply leave them to fall off on their on accord as opposed to rubbing the recipient area to speed up the process. Is there anything wrong with having down that? Note that all the scabs in the picture are raised above my scalp having being lifted by the newly implanted hairs.

Fue Scabs

The grafts should be permanent at 10 days. After this time, you can scrub as much as you need to get the scabs off. It’s normal for the hair follicle to fall out along with the scabs. You did not affect the graft itself and it will have no detrimental effect on your hair growth. Dont forget that post op care and washing is very important to have a good result .

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

You need to contact your doctor and go back for a follow up check. You should not have extensive scabbing.

You need to contact your doctor and go back for a follow up check.  You should not have extensive scabbing.  You need to have better post op care and washing.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scabbing After Transplantation

Thanks for your question!  At two weeks, the grafts are securely in place and you can more aggressively shampoo your hair.  This will likely cause the scabs to fall out on their own.  As always, with any questions, be sure to contact your physician.  Best of luck to you!

16 days a terrible scarring

Grafts contain the hair follicles that are transplanted. Your post operative care is terrible as the crusts remain caked onto your head. Be sure not to pick these off as you now have to wait until they fall off with twice daily shampooing and leaving the shampoo on your head for 5-10 minutes and gently massaging the crusts until they fall off in the next few weeks. Your doctors should have told you how to wash your hair immediately after the surgery so you would have looked like the picture in the web reference

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for your question. 16 days post procedure, your grafts are nice and secure. In answering your question, you can leave them as is and you won't be causing any harm. Every clinic has their own post-care protocol, and daily washes 2 x day can minimize the scabbing. Everything looks great otherwise. Hope this helps.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon