Post Gynecomastia Surgery: Can an Asymmetrical Chest Improve by Itself?

I'm 26 years old I had gynecomastia from long time and it's bilatral I did gynecomastia surgery from 5 week ago but after the surgery my chest is asymmetrical(one breast bigger than the other).

Asymmetry after Correction of Gynecomastia

Be patient!  Wait at least 12 weeks to figure out whether you are really different and then take a critical look at the results.  Repeat correction can be required for noticeable asymmetry.

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Asymmetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi Ibra,

Thanks for the post. There could be a variety of reasons why someone is asymmetric. It could be because they have excess breast tissue on one side, excess fatty tissue on one side, or musculoskeletal asymmetries (pectoralis is larger or ribs curve differently on one side than the other). Musculoskeletal asymmetries cannot be corrected with gynecomastia surgery.  That being said, at 5 weeks you are still relatively early in the recovery and so one side could be more swollen than the other. I recommend you wait until you are closer to 6 months before evaluating your chest. The asymmetry you have now may resolve with more time.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

It is too early to assess the outcome of your surgery.  I would give it at least two months.  Communicate your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Too early

I could be swelling or it could be a larger chest muscle than the other side especially if your dominate arm.  Try and be patient.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Assymmetry post 6 months may require a revision

Asymmetry following gynecomastia surgery may be due to swelling, bleeding, scarring or residual tissue.  If asymmetry persists after 6 months consider revision.  If the asymmetry is small must weigh risk over resection.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

What is the degree of the asymmetry?

You should give it more time tose if there isa change ,and the degree of the asymmetry does mater.r.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Asymmetry after gynaecomastia correction

On balance it is likely that you have some residual asymmetry that you should bring to the attention of your surgeon. However you should wait for at least 4-6 months to allow all swelling to settle down before having any further correction.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Healing after gynecomastia surgery

It is important to give yourself enough time to heal after surgery. Sometime both sides do not heal at the same rate, so for now you should be patient.  If the asymmetry persists after 3-4 months, you should approach your surgeon about a touch-up.

Bruce E. Genter, MD, FACS
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric breasts after gynecomastia correction

I would recommend going back to your plastic surgeon for a revision.  However, you may want to wait about 3-4 months for all of the swelling to resolve first.