I Still Have Puffy Nipples Even After Having Ultrasonic-Assisted Liposuction

It's been about 3 months since my surgery and my surgeon is warning me against gland extraction due to possible nipple cave-in. I was wondering if I got nipples rings would that solve my puffy nipple issue which is alot less than before surgery but still a problem. Surgeon wants $2000 for revision I figure piercings would be about $250 with less risk than revision. Doctors please guide me. I'm in S. Florida any good Gyno docs from S. FL on this site if so step to the plate, I need help.

Male breast gland excision is an important part of gynecomastia surgery

removal of the breast gland is a very importnat part of gynecomastia surgery. I usually both excise breast gland tissue, as well as perform liposuction of the entire chest. otherwise, it is possible to have a puffy nipple as you are experiencing.

The most reliable way to have no recurrence is by direct excision of the gland. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in #gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Still Have Puffy Nipples After Having Ultrasonic-Assisted Liposuction

It may take up to one year to see your final results. So, you must be patient. Nor is not uncommon for each breast heal at a different pace from one another. It is very possible that you are experiencing #swelling as you are healing. A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Also, bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Additionally, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.  If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Glandular tissue must be removed, not fat

Puffy nipples is usually a result of excess glandular tissue. The liposuction only removed fat but not this glandular tissue. A revision surgery for liposuction won't fix the problem.

Nipple cave in is a low risk if your surgeon knows what they're doing.

Ronald Levine, MD

Puffy Nipples Even After Having Ultrasonic-Assisted Liposuction

Hi Mr. Mike,

Thanks for the post. The reason why you still have puffy nipples is because you have excess glandular tissue under the areola. This is not predictably treated with liposuction, whether it is ultrasonic, laser, or standard. Nipple rings will not address this issue, but may distract from it. However, that is not a solution for the problem. To treat the problem will require surgery to remove the gland. Done by an experienced gynecomastia surgeon, the risk of nipple cave-in is quite low.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Puffy Nipples after Surgery

Without photos and an exam it is difficult to give adequate advice. In general this condition is gue to glandular breast tissue that has to be excised. Nipple Rings will NOT correct this. 
It is key to see a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in secondary gynecomastia surgery for best results.

Pictures would be very helpful in answering this question.  You may need a direct excision of glandular tissue in the subareolar region to make the nipple and areola area flatter.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Puffy Nipples after Liposuction

The most common reason for having continued “puffy nipples” after liposuction surgery is the presence of breast tissue (gynecomastia).

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Residual glandular tissue

Residual glandular tissue is most often the cause of puffy nipple post liposuction surgery.You should see a experienced gynecomastia surgeon for consistent results with no recurrence.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Puffiness under areola s/p gynecomastia reduction with ultrasonic liposuction

If there is persistent puffiness after liposuction of the chest, then there is almost certainly fibrous glandular tissue remaining.  That tissue can be removed very accurately and there should be no caving in of the areola.  If there is a depression that can be filled in later with fat.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD