After Breast Augmentation

What can I expect from breast augmentation plastic surgery? How long will the procedure last?

Breast augmentation works

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Breast augmentation is one of the greatest plastic surgery operations out there. It enhances all of the features of your breasts by placing an implant under the pectoral muscle thus avoiding your breast tissues so you can still breast feed if interested.

It is all done through a small 4cm incision and the recovery lasts about a week at which point you can return to most of your activities. The results will last as long as the implant lasts. FDA recommends we exchange implants at around 12 to 15 years. There's no hard and fast rule but this is the recommendation.

After Breast Augmentation

On average, the surgery takes 1 hour and most of my patients require 2 to 4 days of rest and use of pain medications/muscle relaxants. Most patients are able to return to work (desk job) at one week. I asked my patients to avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for 4 to 6 weeks.

Make sure you are working with a well trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and communicate your goals clearly.
it is important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
I use intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Recovery After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
I suggest consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon. They will be able to review your expectations and determine if you are a candidate for surgery. Good luck!

Expectations from breast augmentation surgery

Breast augmentation surgery is usually performed under a general anesthetic (while you are asleep), in an outpatient facility. The procedure lasts approximately 1 1/2 hours and patients are able to return home within a few hours after surgery.

Patients can expect to achieve larger, fuller breasts with restoration of a more youthful appearance. The procedure helps many patients increase their self confidence as well as become more proportional with the rest of their body. Breast augmentation has a very high patient satisfaction rate.

Discuss your desires and expectations with your board certified plastic surgeon prior to proceeding. Patients with the greatest level of satisfaction are those with realistic expectations of what can be achieved from the procedure.

Good luck.

Breast augmentation recovery. What can I expect?

Thank you for your question. Recovery from breast augmentation surgery is individual. That being said, the expectation for recovery from a breast augmentation wherein the implant is placed under the muscle would likely be less than a week. That being said, there are multiple options for scar treatment. I wish you the best of luck.

What to expect after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your post. There are a lot of variables to account for after breast augmentation and what to expect in the recovery process. Done well, breast augmentation can have a very long lasting beautiful result.  The following is an outline of what to expect after augmentation based on some of these variables:

1. Pain: In general, breast augmentation is tolerated very well. When the implant is placed sub-facial or sub-glandular, i.e. above the muscle, there is very little pain post-operative. The muscle is left in place and in general, when I perform this technique, women have surgery on Friday, and are back to work (as long as they are not lifting heavy objects) on Monday. When the implant is placed sub-muscular, then there more pain and soreness as the muscle has been elevated which is similiar to having a pulled or torn muscle. This creates more swelling and takes longer to heal. In these case, most women take at least a week off of work.

2. Swelling and Size: It is very common to be about a size bigger right after surgery than what your final result will be. Swelling starts to occur right after surgery and tends to peak in the first week. After about a month you will have lost most of the swelling, but still not completely at baseline. After about another 3 months or so, you will have lost 99% of your swelling, but still have a pretty good idea of your final size at 1 month. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on bras until 3 months though, as they might not fit perfectly after all the swelling goes away. Also, the more activity you have, the longer the swelling stays, the more that needs to be done as far as lift etc. with surgery, the longer your swelling stays. As stated above, going below the muscle tends to produce more swelling and lasts for longer.

3. Scars: The natural healing process undergoes multiple phases, but in general, the first phase is the inflamatory phase were any scar will be firmer and may turn red or darker initially. This tends to last for 3 months. After this phase is the resolution phase where the scar inflammation goes away and all scars will be at their baseline at 1 year. The scars are mostly at their baseline at 6 months. The scars should be minimal if placed well, and sutured properly. I also like to protect the scars from stretching or widening in the first few months with surgical skin tape. The incision will be weak at first and susceptible to stretch or widening.

4. Massage: Your doctor may recommend early or late massage, depending on what is trying to be accomplished. In general, early massage is to manipulate a high implant or stretch a constricted area, such as in tubular breast syndrome, and late massage is to help fight capsular contraction. Search 'Breast Massage' to find my recommendations on this.

5. Exercise: In general, I ask my patients to keep away from aerobic activities in the first 2 weeks following surgery. Increased activity can increase swelling and hyper-swelling can cause stretch marks. Following this, 'non-bouncing' aerobic activity is fine, such as speed walking or cycling, but would like to keep the implants from moving too much until the capsule that forms around the implant has a chance to heal and become stronger. At 6 weeks, I clear any type of activity.

6. Infection: Infection after augmentation is very rare. Most surgeon give post-operative antibiotics to help protect you from infection.

7. Hematoma/Seroma: These are also very rare after augmentation. If the pocket for the implant that is made during surgery is a hand in glove fit, then there is very little room for any fluid to collect. It is important that the surgical pocket be free of any bleeding prior to closure to keep a hematoma from happening. If a hematoma does occur, it is important to drain the hematoma to prevent capsular contraction.

8. Sleeping: I ask women to sleep on their backs with their post-operative bra on after surgery to keep the implants in their proper position until the capsule that forms around the implant has a chance to heal.

I hope this has answered most of your post-operative questions.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Rapid Recovery After Breast Augmentation Surgery

You should be able to have a rapid recovery after breast augmentation surgery.  Ask your plastic surgeon about the experience that his/her patients have and ask around. I know exactly what my patients go through because I ask them to report  on their experience anonymously every quarter for quality control.  My patients have a very rapid recovery and return to work in 1-4 days typically with many patients never taking any pain medication and most reporting that it is more uncomfortable than it is painful.

Not every patient is the same and I still have a rare patient that reports that it takes 7 days before they start feeling better.

The procedure should only last 30-45 minutes in the operating room and you should be able to return home that same day.

Breast Augmentation

Breast augmentation is by far the most common procedure performed at my practice. On average the procedure takes about an hour and a half. Things like the type if implant used (saline v. silicone) and where the incision will be (under the muscle, above the muscle, through the belly button, through the underarm) affect the time minimally. When it comes to recovery, all women are different. People have different pain thresholds and heeling times. I know women who have a breast augmentation on Friday and go back to work on Monday. There are also women who need a little more time and that is completely normal. There are some limits when it comes to pain medication like driving, so be mindful of your post surgical commitments if you plan to remain prescription narcotics. You will meet with you surgeon several times over the first 6 months after your surgery. Give your body time to heal and your implants to settle before making any judgments about their appearance. It will take about 6 months to 1 year for this to take place.

Breast Augmentation Duration

The surgical time is generally 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on the placement of implants.

The duration of the implants varies considerably as each patient is different depending on their lifestyle and activity level. The breast implants tend to last 10 -15 years with gel implants lasting longer than saline. We have patients who are happy 20 years after surgery. Leakage may occcur with saline implants in 3 - 6 years after surgery.

What can I expect & how long will it last with breast augmentation

Women choose to have breast augmentation for  a number of reasons, but the most common reasons are for increased volume (size) and a better overall shape. You can expect to increase your beast size with breast augmentation, and often times even out uneven sized and shaped breasts. But most women will "augment" or increase the size of the breasts and maintain the shape that they already have. 

You ask "how long will it last?" Many women have breast augmentation surgery that can last for 20 or more years, however may women will have issues that need revision surgery after only a few years, so there is no set amount of time.  It will also depend on whether you have children and breast feed after having the surgery, and how your own body ages, as well as how much your weight fluctuates.  I would recommend scheduling a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to be evaluated and to go over your options.  Good Luck!