Its 10 days after Eyelid surgery, my right eye is sore can I use Savlon ointment? My stitches are still in. (photo)

Iv had upper & lower eye lid surgery abroad and 10 days after my right eye is red sore and a little puss, my nurse advised cool boiled water but I feel that's not enough. She won't take the stitches out until it's healed , please help. Can I use savlon ointment?

S/P Blepharoplasty upper and lower lids

Your incision lines are inflamed and crusty. Incisions need to be lubricated to heal properly - preferably with an ophthalmic ointment. I would recommend suture removal, aggressive lubrication and warm compresses. Your sutures have been in long enough...

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Did the nurse do the surgery?

Skin sutures need to be removed at about 1 week or they begin to cause issues like suture tracks, skin inflammation, etc.  This surgery is very rough and over aggressive.  Did the surgeon use a laser?  This often means leaving the sutures in for up to 10 days because the laser weakens the healing skin edges.  If a laser was not use, these suture need to be removed now, today.  

Regarding Savlon ointment, this ointment is not to be used on the face.  It contains alcohol and chlorhexidine.  The Chlorhexidine causes horrible eye irritation and can actually lead to permanent visual loss.  So no, do not use Savlon ointment on the stitches.  Call your surgeon today and stop accepting bad medical care.  Sorry you had to contact Realself for help that your eyelid surgeon should be providing as part of their obligation to you as your surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelids

You need an evaluation by your surgeon.  It looks like you a lot of irritation, probably from the sutures, I usually remove by 7 days.  An infectious process needs to be ruled out. Good luck, Jane

Jane M. Rowley, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Irritation and purulence from eyelid surgery.

I am sorry that you are having issues about your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

I would suggest to have an evaluation with your surgeon. if purulence is happening, more complex solutions than just ointment should be used. better safe than sorry 

Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.

Wishing you the best in your journey