I am 25 years old with festoon/malar bags, what would be my best option?

I had restalyn lyft in January but it didn't work as well as I was hoping. Please help

Doctor Answers 7

Thermage could help you

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thermage uses radiofrequency waves to heat and contract the collagen deep in the dermis. This causes an three dimensional tightening of the cheeks which can improve malar bags significantly. Give that consideration. Good luck

Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Malar Mounds in 25 year old

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Leah,

Festoons and Malar mounds are difficult conditions to treat. I find that fillers tend to fix them in an pushed out fashion when really it would be better to have them flattened instead.

I have had success using lasers to stimulate the body to tighten the skin in this area and improve the appearance of festoons and malar mounds.

I'll include a video below.

I hope this was helpful.

Adam Scheiner, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Likely you had a filler service that was not right.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a mid cheek groove.  It will not be fixed with lower eyelid surgery, laser resurfacing, or fat grafting.  This is a small problems that is best handled with hyaluronic acid filler is ideal for this.  However, it is a fussy service.  Only a tiny fraction of injectors are any good and dealing with this issue.  Your prior service might actually be making your issue worse.  A careful analysis needs to be done to determine if the old service needs to be removed or modified.  This is done with enzyme.  Once the tissues have settles (at least a few days) the correct filler service is then placed.  The right filler treatment make all the difference.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Treatment of festoons

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for sharing your question and photo. Festoons are particularly difficult to treat. Surgery is usually not a good option. Minimal improvement has been found with fillers, laser skin resurfacing and other techniques. Make sure to see an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon for comprehensive evaluation and discussion of treatment options.  Good luck,

I am 25 years old with festoon/malar bags, what would be my best option?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  The surgical correction of malar bags is difficult and leaves significant scars.  For that reason I preferred dermal filler injections.  I would suggest trying fillers again but choosing a different provider and ask if they have had experienced treating malar bags.  Properly done the filler should help you.

Best Options for Malar Bags--lasers, RF, fillers, peels

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lasers, RF treatments, fillers, and peels work best in this area.  You can get surgery or repositioning of fat to help along with RF / lasers. I suggest seeing an expert for a formal evaluation as a team approach may be best.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Malar 'bag" /tear trough injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


From your photo I think that you could be a good candidate for Radiesse in the cheek area to soften the malar area and festoon. Have you had tear trough injections with a HA filler? This is a great combination with the Radiesse in this cheek to help minimize the fold in the malar area that you are referring to. I have also used Sculptra in the cheek area with Belotero in the tear trough to give amazing results. I hope you find this helpful. Thank you for your questions.


Andrea Dempsey MD

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.