How to massage BA scars and what's the best product to use?

I am now four weeks post op and my surgeon said I need to start massaging my scars to help reduce the appearance. Just wondering how firm I should be massaging them and the best product to use.

S/p BA

We have our nurses demonstrate breast massage to all of our breast augmentation patients at 3-4 weeks following surgery. They also instruct the patients in the use of scar cream to the incisions. We have found Biocorneum to be quite effective. Ask your surgeon to clarify these issues for you.

S/p BA

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Post Breast Augmentation Surgery - Scars

Thank you for your inquiry. I advise all my patients to use silicone gel an vitamine E post surgery to achieve the best scars possible. Silicone Gel in combination with Vitamine E is clinically proven to soften, flatten and smooth scars. It will also relieve any itching, pain and discomfort associated with scars. 

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. you can apply coconut oil and silicone sheets after 21 days from surgery when your scars are completely healed.. Also you can use rose hip oil. 

Scar Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips.

Scar Management tips:
  1. Minimize tension on the scar. Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas at the time of surgery to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar.  This minimizes the  stress that  can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and  delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”. In the first few weeks after surgery, I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy which is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar.
  2. Keep your incision site/scar clean to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions to the letter with out modification. Never apply different products then recommended without first discussing them with your surgeon. This is especially important during the first few weeks. If there are any signs of infection, contact your surgeon’s office right away and/or see your doctor or his nurse immediately. Typical signs of infection may include redness outside the immediate incision site, asymmetric swelling, and drainage, of pus, fever, chills, and “feeling sick”.
  3. Protect your scars from the sun. Staying out of the sun is the best advice. Minimal exposure to sunlight is prevents hyperpigmentation (permanently turning brown) and other problems that can make the scar more noticeable. Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF and an overlying make camouflage make up additionally protects the scar from the suns harmful rays. This advice is especially important the first year following your surgery.
  4. Use specific scar maturation products recommended by your surgeon. Patients seem to have their own opinions on this touting everything from Pure Vit E, Coco butter, to Aloe Vera, etc but most have minimal benefit other than keeping the scar hydrated. Although hydration is important there are better, scientifically studied products with greater efficacy. Most of the scientific articles written about this subject indicate that topical silicone gel or silicone sheets work the best. The best product available in my opinion is the Embrace Scar Therapy System by Neodyne BioSciences, Inc. available in many surgeons’ offices. Essentially this is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar. For areas that are not applicable for this product (e.g. smaller areas or on the face), I prefer BioCorneum or Kelo-Cote products There are a lot of products to choose from, but silicone should be one of the key ingredients. Although Mederma, an onion extract derivative active ingredient rather than mainly silicone based may help, primarily silicone based products are better and many also contain other ingredients that may be synergistic (hydrocortisone or other steroid, Vitamin E, Sunscreen, etc).. If the reader has problems obtaining these they can call my office. Patient compliance is also critical – use often and according to directions or it will not work optimally. NEVER apply products without first discussing them with your surgeon.
  5. Monitor to make sure your scar is progressing optimally. Keep your scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon to verify that your scars are maturing as expected.  Occasionally if indicated you may need a topical steroid preparation or even a series of  injections (5-FU and/or Steroids) or laser treatments  to treat or  prevent scar hypertrophy or keloid formation (red raised scars), or other topical medicines to treat post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown scars) with prescription creams and possible laser treatments.

Scar Management

Scar Management tips:

Scar massage and products

As for instructions on massage of your scars this would be best demonstrated by your Plastic Surgeon for the amount of firmness recommended. As for a scar gel, I recommend Dermatix Ultra to my patients to use on the scars.  Good luck.

Scar massage and products

Scar massage

Thanks for you question. In reality probably any moisturizing cream will be of some benefit, however the evidence seems to point to silicone gels and those creams containing vitamin E to be more effective. The massaging is probably as important as the cream itself, and as long as the scar has fully healed in, then you can massage fairly firmly. 

Scar massage

Silagen is my preferred scar gel

Postoperative I usually recommend Silagen a pure silicone gel or it's equivalent.. Good luck with your healing.

Silagen is my preferred scar gel

Massage of breasts and/or scars after breast surgery is not a universally accepted or agreed-upon  principle. Each plastic surgeon may have his/her opinion that is based on their specific/unique education, experience, and personal preferences. 

Therefore, once a patient has selected her plastic surgeon, best to follow his/her advise/instructions, as opposed to those of online consultants. Your plastic surgeon knows exactly what procedure was performed, how he/she obtains the best outcomes possible and is ultimately responsible for your care. Best wishes.

Scar Massage

I recommend scar massage as well, once you've completely healed. Silicone scar gel works well in combination with this. Ask your Plastic Surgeon to demonstrate what they are recommending to you.

All the best

Scar Massage

All the best

Breast Augmentation - Scar Care

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions. Biocorneum makes an excellent product. Your incisions appear to be healing well. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps.

Breast Augmentation - Scar Care