Is serrapeptase safe to take after breast augmentation?

Is serrapeptase safe to take after breast augmentation. It's said that it can reduce internal scaring, so my concern is whether it could deteriorate the capsule that naturally forms around the implant. I don't want to take a supplement that could cause me more harm than good.

Serrapeptase

Thank you for your question. At this time we do not have scientific evidence to support affect of serrapeptase on capsule. Important is good sterile technique by surgeon, follow instructions from your PS will help and monitor progress.

Worried about Capsule Contracture coverage?

Thanks for your question. This supplement may or may not work and may carry additional risks we also don't know about at this time.

To reduce CC this is what I do:

Triple antibiotic irrigation, nipple covers, Keller funnel, no-touch technique and new gloves for each implant placement. After surgery, I like Singulair which can help with some capsules and is the most commonly prescribed pediatric asthma med (means it's safe). 

Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Techniques to minimize capsular contracture after breast augmentation

The effects of serrapeptase and other supplements are still unknown.  Hence, we rely on tried-and-tested techniques to minimize capsular contracture rate, which I have explained below: 

*  Irrigation of the implant pocket with antibiotics. 

*  Avoidance of smoking and second-hand smoke at least three weeks before surgery and during the healing stage. 

*  Achieving one's optimal health prior to surgery.

*  Using gentle surgical techniques to minimize bleeding and trauma. 

*  Lifetime use of implant displacement exercise, or more commonly referred to as breast massage. 

These are some of my techniques, which aim to prevent or at least reduce the risk of capsular contracture.

Unknown effects

If you were my patient I would ask you not to take any supplements at least 7 days before surgery until you have healed and recovered. There is no evidence serrapeptase prevents capsular contracture "internal scarring). There is also no evidence of what the side effects may be. So don't take chances. Have your surgery, recover and heal, and then you can take any supplement you choose. Until then, trust that your surgeon is doing everything possible to prevent capsular contracture.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon