Do I have a weak chin? Is that why my nose looks so long? (photos)

Do I have a weak chin? Is that why my nose looks so long?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Hello - Thanks for your question.  Actually, you have both a long nose and a recessed chin.  In my rhinoplasty practice, I see this quite commonly.  Patients with this combination of complaints do well with rhinoplasty to reduce the nose and a chin implant to project the chin.  A consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist in your area will help you better understand your options, etc.  Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and nose surgery

Although your photo doesn't show all necessary details of facial profile it is obvious that you will benefit from conservative chin and nose surgery.  Chin augmentation with implant and rhinoplasty could be done in the same time.You should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with good reputation in nose surgery and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and at a consultation aided by digital photography you will be able to see what you might benefit from.  So go on some consultations that use that technique!
Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

weakchinboy, cannot tell from your photo (you need to be in what we call the "Frankfort horizontal" and can't tell if you are. See a surgical specialist that does "only faces" and get an evaluation. Look for experience and good photos. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Overly projecting nose and a weak chin

A full set of facial photographs are  required to make a determination about a weak and recessive chin profile in relationship to the nose. When patients have a weak in recessive chin profile, a chin implant is placed to give the added augmentation to the chin. When the nose is overly projecting, it can be de-projected to help balance the nose. Commonly both procedures are performed together to help significantly with facial balance and proportions. For more information, diagrams and many before and after results of rhinoplasty/chin implants, please see link and video below

Chin implant and rhinoplasty

The side profile shows your nose to be a wee bit long and the chin slightly small.  Each accentuates the other.  Ideally, you would have a small chin implant placed and then a reduction rhinoplasty.  The latter would reduce the length without changing the angel of the nose.  Best wishes.  

David Alessi, MD

the shape of your chin is nice so it makes me think that it might be you upper and lower jaw that are small. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Do you have a weak chin?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Dear Weakchinboy, You are correct that a weak chin will make the nose appear longer and offsets your overall profile. To best determine candidacy for chin augmentation i would suggest that you seek consultation with an expert in the field. Have imaging performed to show you the changes chin augmentation would bring to your profile and overall facial aesthetics and then you can determine if the procedure would provide the results you are looking for. To see an example of digital imaging for chin augmentation see the video above and many examples of chin augmentation in the link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD