How serious and how can one treat subcutaneous induration of abdomen and flanks after cool sculpting?

After 4 days my stomach hardened into a large solid mass and I had golf ball sized nodules on one flank then the other flank had one a few days later. 8 days out my stomach was hot and felt like it had a donut shaped implant around my bellybutton. I can feel the edges. I went back and we tried painfully" breaking it up" with massage, but within an 1hr it was back. They then said it was subcutaneous induration and not to massage but to ice it? Any insight? I'm nervous.

Thank you for your question. Sorry to hear about your discomfort. This usually resolves on its own. Motrin and ice should help. If you are concerned, please speak to your treating physician.

Hi and thanks for your question. I am sorry to hear about your recovery but what you describe is probably just part of the recovery and healing process. NSAID's can help with this situation but check with your doctor to make sure that is ok. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon 

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  It is my understanding that it usually goes away on it's own. You can use motrin or other pain medication as needed to control any discomfort.  Motrin is recommended because it also helps with the inflammation.  Ice can also help with the inflammation.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Coolsculpting and Induration

Coolsculpting and induration can happen although it is not common. Motrin and ice are the advised therapy and should resolve on its own. Best, Dr. Green

Induration after #CoolSculpting

Dear yummymummy:

#Subcutaneous induration is a known albeit extremely rare side effect of CoolSculpting. I have seen one patient with a milder version of this, with small areas of induration that resolved without intervention in approximately two weeks. 

If you are uncomfortable your physician might recommend ibuprofen 800 mg three times daily with extra-strength Tylenol. A short trial of prednisone might also be reasonable. Icing may reduce the inflammation. I would imagine he or she has reported this to Zeltiq and obtained the most up-to-date information about duration of this uncommon side effect and response to interventions. My understanding is that it has never caused any long-term problems.

Since this is so uncommon, we would all benefit by learning how long this lasts for you and how you respond to any interventions. Would you consider contacting me through my website to let me know (see below)?

All the best to you,
Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD