Should I lose weight prior to my coolsculpting treatment?

Hi there, I have booked in for a coolsculpting treatment in 5 week's time on my "love handle" area. The reason I have booked it for 5 weeks time is that I thought that if I could lose a little bit of weight in that time, then my fat cells will be a bit smaller and so more of them will be able to fit into the applicator and be treated. Is this an accurate thing to think? Or should I just rebook it for next week since I'm excited to get the process started as soon as I can?

Thank you for your question. We do recommend for patients to be at their ideal weight for the best results. If you are unsure of what to do, I would recommend asking your treating physician. Ensure that you always speak to a physician with expertise in CoolSculpting. Regards,

Losing Weight Is a Good Idea

Even if it doesn't make that much of an impact on the final results of CoolSculpting, dropping a couple of pounds before the procedure certainly won't be a bad idea. Being as close to the weight you want to maintain after the treatment may also help keep you motivated to stick to a healthy lifestyle. CoolSculpting isn't a weight-loss procedure, so it does make sense to lose weight if that gets you closer to your target weight. Thanks for your question.

Hi and thanks for your question. It is always a great idea to try to get within range of your ideal body weight prior to coolsculpting if possible. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and weight loss

If you can be at your ideal weight which you can maintain for the long term when you get treatment with Coolsculpting that is the best. Whether you lose weight before or not Coolsculpting works! – and can reduce the amount of pinchable fat in an area by 30% with each treatment. Sometimes, in fact, patients are more motivated to lose weight after their Coolsculpting treatment because they start to see a visible difference.

Lisa Airan, MD

Coolsculpting and Results versus Hi Definiton Liposuction

Coolsculpting gives a small amount of improvement after each treatment and often needs multiple applications to the area to get a contouring like result, if you can get that at all.  weight loss will not make much a difference and its best to be at your ideal weight and treat problem areas before any body contouring treatments.  I would consider a hi definition body shaping procedure if you are loking for a contouring result. Best, Dr. Emer.

Losing weight and CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting is most effective in patients that are near their ideal body weight and yet have some stubborn areas that are unresponsive to diet and exercise.  It is also best when the fat is pinchable.  If the area of concern is pinchable now you are likely to see nice results from the treatment even before dieting.  

Cody Koch

Cody A. Koch, MD, PhD
Des Moines Facial Plastic Surgeon

Losing Weight Prior To CoolSculpting

Thanks for a great question Jessie. I think it can really go either way. If you are a little overweight and your fat is not as pinchable then it's a good idea to lose some weight before your treatment. On the other hand, if you're within 10-15% of your ideal body weight and have nicely pinchable fat then you can go ahead and get treated. Losing weight after your treatment will only help enhance your result. The important thing is that you maintain a healthy diet and an active lifestyle both before and after your treatment to ensure you have the optimal results and that your results would be long lasting. Hope this helps and good luck on your treatment!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Depends

If your fat is pinchable right now, don't lose weight. If it feels more thick and is hard to pinch, lose weight. 
Here is a video of me doing it to my love handles!

Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Insta

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

CoolSculpting causes permanent fat loss

Remember that the area treated usually will be reduced between 20 to 25 percent.  The applicator gathers the tissue in and works best when there is enough tissue to fill the applicator adequately.  Go ahead and get you treatment.  Use some light compression on the areas afterwards because there will be swelling.  Good luck.

Creative thinking

Congratulations on treating yourself!  I love to see people do things that make them feel amazing!

I get your train of thought and it is a valid thought.  There is no science to look at this, however, I do not anticipate that your results would vary greatly for a couple of weeks of dieting.  

I say go for it and allow the Coolsculpting to be the motivation to keep it up! 

Dr. Will

Will Richardson, MD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon