Is throwing up after Coolsculpting normal?

I had two sessions of CS today. I felt a little nauseated in the second session. About two hours later, I started throwing up and have now thrown up six times in 2.5 hours. I saw that nausea was a side effect but this seems extreme.

Thank you for your question. Nausea is common, however, vomiting to the extend that you have described is not. I would recommend speaking to your treating physician and having an in-person assessment. Regards,

Hi and sorry to hear about your recovery. Nausea can sometimes occur during or immediately following a treatment but not usually to the extent you have described. Contact the coosculpting practice and also your primary care physician to be certain. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and Nausea

The procedure itself should not cause you to feel sick. However, some people get a vasovagal response.  I suggest you speak to your treating physician if you are concerned.

Coolsculpt side effects.....

I would have to agree with Dr. Echavez.  I am not a fan of the procedure and have actually seen patients in the ER after treatment.   The last time I looked deeply into the procedure, I was under the impression that one should only have one area treated at a time in most cases. The Zeltiq website even cautions about this "Multiple areas can be done at one time in some cases". Finally, make sure you are having the treatment in a trained physicians office.  Zeltiq recommends "The coolsculpt procedure is a medical device, and should only be done in a doctor’s office". I hope this helps. 

Jeffrey Jacobs, MD
Meridian OB/GYN

Nausea and vomiting after Coolsculpt

Dear Rebtasker,
Immediately following a Coolsculpt procedure it is not uncommon to become lightheaded, a little shaky, and nauseated from what is called a vagal response. This is the same reaction that causes fainting. This would only last seconds to minutes and passes most quickly if you lay down, elevate your legs, and maybe put a cool wet towel on your face or neck.

If your treatment was on your belly and you also have abdominal pain or tenderness you should be examined immediately by the physician who was responsible for your treatment. If the treatment was not on your belly I personally would be less suspecting of a problem that will have significance of be prolonged.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Vomiting after CoolSculpting

Vomiting is rare following CoolSculpting.  Since it is an unusual and infrequent complication after CoolSculpting contact the physician who performed the procedure.  They may wish to examine you to make sure everything is progressing as planned.

Cody Koch

Cody A. Koch, MD, PhD
Des Moines Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is vomiting after CoolSculpting normal?

In my opinion, vomiting is not normal after CoolSculpting.  People can react to the procedure differently however.  I would suggest contacting the physician who treated you, as your vomiting is not a common occurrence.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon