How do you treat scar tissue in a fingertip?

I was holding a board while my husband was using a nail gun to attach a trim board to the side of our fireplace. Nail went thru both boards and punctured my finger. This was 2 months ago. I now have a lump in my fingertip that I'm assuming is scar tissue. Painful to write with a pen. Will this go away on its own? Should I try massage to break it down?

Finger Scar Solutions --Fraxel, microneedling/prp, VIVA, Vascular Laser (ProYellow, VBeam)

I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a scarring expert. Scars can be improved with surgery, lasers, microneedling/prp and fillers. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Finger

Thank you for posting your question. Since the lump is still painful, I would recommend seeing your primary care physician to start with and make sure there is no infection. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your injury!  I would advocate seeing your internal medicine doctor for an evaluation to make sure that nothing else may be taking place but scar massage certainly will not hurt.  If the tissue persists I would advocate seeing a hand specialist in consultation to discuss treatment options, including scar removal.