Do you think I may have an infection or a irritation of my left eye? Will my vision return to normal in my left eye? (Photos)

I had a face lift and lower/upper eye lid surgery 3 months ago. Everything is healing great except for my left eye. I have been experiencing double vision and blurriness for about a month and it appears to not be getting better. I have visited an ophthalmologist who thinks it's dry eye and has given me some eye drops for the dry eye, but the double vision /blurriness remains. For the past couple of days, my lower lid at my left eye has been swollen, irritated & itchy.

Double Vision & Eye Irritation

Since the double vision started a couple of months after your blepharoplasty, I do not think they are related which means that you need to probably consult with another ophthalmologist in order to figure out what's going on. In terms of the eye irritation, it is probably a reaction to the eye drops that the doctor gave you for the dry eye. So sorry that you are experiencing this.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Double vision two months after eye surgery

Thank you for asking about your eye problems three months after eye surgery.

• Am I correct that the double vision and blurred vision began 2 months after surgery?
  • Double vision can occur after cosmetic lower lid surgery from swelling in a muscle but usually is evident immediately and improves over the first six weeks.
  • So if your double vision started after 2 months, it may not be related to the surgery.
  • It does not sound as though your ophthalmologist evaluated the double vision.
  • Also I am concerned that you may be having a reaction to the prescribed drops.
  • If they are medicated, the drops may be causing the new irritation of the lower lid.
  • You should be using preservative free natural tears in the day every hour and preservative free gel a night.
  • But you also need a complete evaluation for new-onset double vision.
  • This diagnosis can be very difficult to make and you may need a neuro-ophthalmologist.
  • I suggest you see an opthalmologist who is able to refer you, if needed, to a neuro-ophthalmologist.
  • You can either ask your ophthalmologist to re-examine you and ask if he knows a neuro-ophthalmologist.
  • Otherwise start over, call ophthalmologists either at a major medical center or an medical teaching hospital.
  • Explain that you need one who has time to see you and who is very thorough. 
  • A quick exam of your eye will not yield any useful information.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

It is impossible to answer this from the story and the photograph.

You need an ophthalmologist who is more motivated to get to the bottom of your symptoms.  I think it is time to make the drive to the big city and see a general ophthalmologist at the University of Colorado for a real assessment.  Please let us know what you learn.

Double, blurred vision and swollen eyelid after upper/lower blepharoplasty 3 months ago.

True double vision is concerning.  Blurred vision would likely be from dry eyes as your ophthalmologist thought.    You could try Alaway or Zaditor drops for the itching, but they may cause your eyes to become more dry.  The best drops are preservative-free, so check the package/bottle information of the drops you are using.  Benadryl cream may help for the itching, but don't get it into the eye.  If your double vision worsens and your ophthalmologist can't figure it out then get seen for another opinion.  Without further details of your health or and particular surgery details then it is hard to give any further thoughts or recommendations.  Best regards.  

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dry Eye

Best to recheck with your eye doctor regarding your blurred and double vision.

And keep up the lubricants to your eyes.