I have MCTD. I've aged 15 yrs in 3 years when viewing my face. My sight is being affected. (photos)

Is plastic surgery an option? I don't know how to do the pictures. I'm 66 and look close to 80. Sight problems neck and facial sagging and wrinkles worse than my grandmother.

MCTD & Facelift

While it is possible for someone with MCTD to have a facelift, you must first get clearance from your connective tissue disorder specialist. Then, schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person and discuss options. If the excess skin on your eyelids is impairing your vision, this can be corrected at the same time as your facelift.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Facelift candidate with connective tissue disease?

A conference between your plastic surgeon and your connective tissue disorder specialist would be necessary to evaluate your overall health and safety of anesthesia and surgery.  If your visual difficulties are from the excess upper eyelid skin, this can be treated in conjunction with a face and necklift surgery.  I would also recommend that a part of your facelift include autologous fat injections for replacement of loss of volume and the benefits of stem cells in rejuvenating your skin.  You also show signs of jowls and mid facial volume loss that can be improved noticeably to your benefit.  Best of luck,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Facelift and mixed connective tissue disease

It is possible to perform a facelift with mixed connective tissue disease. It's also important to obtain medical clearance from your primary care provider before electing to undergo cosmetic facial surgery. In our practice, the goal of a lower face and neck lift is to tighten loose facial and neck skin, tighten loose facial and neck muscles, lift the jowls, and  remove the fatty deposits in the neck. For more information and many examples, please see the video and the link below 

Facelift

Thank you for your question. You are a candidate for both facelift and necklift procedures. The necklift procedure will decrease the sagging in your neck while contouring your jawline. The facelift procedure can help with facial sagging, creases below the lower eyelid and along the nose to the mouth edges. It can adjust fat that has fallen or shifted and correct the loss of muscle tone while working in concert with the necklift to smooth the jowls. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mixed connective tissue disease and facial aging

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• I am sorry about your MCTD.
  • Your photos suggest that you would definitely benefit from a face and neck lift with upper lid surgery as well.
  • However first ask the doctor treating your MCTD what risks you face with surgery and if s/he would clear your to have surgery.
  • Then have a consultation with a plastic surgeon, discuss the issue and have your surgeon and MCTD doctor talk about the best ways to reduce any additional risk that you face from having surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Facelift

Hello and thank you for your question.   You would need to work in conjunction with your medical physician who is treating your MCTD.  Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a mini facelift with a neck lift.  If good technique is used, this can be done with minimal scarring and can result in a natural look, not over-done look, with rejuvenation of your face.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD