is this normal scarring following a face lift/neck lift? (photos)

I had a horrendous facelift/necklift which resulted in many complications following the surgery so I am beginning to wonder if I was in good hands. I didn't even think that I needed a neck lift but was reluctantly convinced. Are these scars normal for a faceleft/necklift? One scar is on the hairline (left ear) whereas the scar on the other side is more than a half inch below the hairline which means that it will be visible when I wear my hair up. It has been 8 weeks since the surgery.

Healing Scars 8 weeks Post Op

Thank you for your question, it is still very early days, your scars are healing and will take 3-6 months to mature, fading to skin colour.  You may want to massage on a regular basis, in the future if you wanted to use steroid injections to soften the scars or scar revision would be a possibility.  Be patient and give them time, please return to your surgeon for regular follow ups to assess your healing progress.  All The Best

Scars after facelift

time heals all wounds. I would treat your scars with hydro cortisone , massage, and most importantly time. It is too early to considers surgical scar revision.

things should improve dramatically over the next 4 months. At that time, I would consider a scar revision if needed.

best of luck

When scars are visible

as they are on your one side, your surgeon simply had a bad day... and he/she should bend over backwards to help you resolve this if it doesn't heal to your satisfaction and remains extremely visible.  In the meantime, you are still early in your recovery and I hope the rest of your procedure has produced the results that you were hoping for.  Your surgeon can also help you with camouflage strategies as you continue to heal.

Curtis Wong, MD

Scars & Healing

While the scar on the right side is lower than the scar on the left which is less than ideal, you are still very early in your recovery. It can take up to a year for scars to fully resolve and there are lots of options to make scars less visible. In the meantime, there are makeup options that do a really nice job of hiding scars. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Post facelift Concerns with Low Incision

Dear Davinci7, Neither of the incisions look  well placed and the right one is obviously lower then the left side. With that said, you are early in the recovery phase and you will have improvement in these incisions over the coming months. Keep in mind this can be improved upon at a later date. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Concerned about face lift scars

Thank you for asking about your face lift scars.

• I am so sorry you had many complications and hope all are taken care of now.
  • The scar on the right side is not, as you know, as high as the other and may be visible.
  • However you are early into your healing and things will steadily improve with time.
  • In the meantime, you might hide the scars with make-up or with a tendril of hair behind the ear when you put your hair up - 
  • The healing period from face lifts can be frustrating but things can improve dramatically.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Scarring Following Facelift

Scarring will probably improve because you're only 8 weeks after surgery. The  scar  behind the right ear seems to be a little low  but I would evaluate after scar maturation and regrowth of the hair. It is possible that this could be elevated at a later date.

Normal Incision placement

Thank you for your pictures.  The incision behind the right ear is lower than desired.  With time the scar quality may improve.  Best wishes.

Face/necklift scar

Hi and thank you for your question. Fortunately you are early in the process and the scars will continue to mature and improve for up to a year becoming less visible. You may desire some revision on the scar, but at this point, time is on your side and its best to be patient. Best wishes

Leilie Javan, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Scarring

Thank you for the question and sorry for the asymmetric incisions.  That said you are early post op and with time the scars should fade making them barely visible

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD