What is the reason behind someone having a weak chin?

I have a weak chin and I have been thinking about it a lot, I am not good with things in general as normal guys are but I am artistic. Is it the same reason why people with stronger chins are considered to be more masculine (like actors) because they can do thing in a manly manner. I also think that because I talk less, the muscles of my chin haven't developed. My question is that whether it is because of genes or it's because of the environment we grow in?

Reason for having a weak chin profile

The reason that patients have a weak chin profile is usually related to genetics. The frontal projection of of the mandible simply does not grow far enough forward and patient's are left with a recessive or weak chin profile. To augment the chin, a chin implant can be performed. Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic, and can be inserted through a sub mental approach under a brief local  anesthetic. For many examples of weak chin profiles corrected with a chin implant  and more information, please see the link  below

Chin Augmentation Vs. Jaw Advancement Surgery

Underlying your question about what causes a weak chin seems to be an assumption that men with weak chins are perceived as less masculine and powerful than those with stronger jawlines. The type of chin and jaw we are born with is mostly determined by genetics, and does not seem to be related to behavior or exercise. In our society, we do tend to associate masculinity with a strong jaw and increased testosterone levels. Although there are no direct correlations between physiognomy and personality, by altering people's perceptions of you, you may actually alter how you feel about yourself, which could then transfer to behavioral changes as well. Certainly many of facial plastic surgery patients report increased confidence after their procedures, which in turns influences how they are perceived. I hope this helps.

Small Chin

Hi there. A “strong” and well-defined jaw and chin have traditionally been attractive physical traits. As such, some patients present with concerns about a weak or recessed chin.
A more aesthetic chin may be achieved by placement of a chin implant. Interestingly, a balanced chin improves overall facial appearance and may actually influence nasal projection.For example, a weak chin may increase the severity of an overprojected nose.
Good overall medical health, as well as realistic expectations, are necessary. It is also key to understand all aspects of the surgery and aftercare. A pleasing, balanced profile can be achieved by inserting an implant to augment a weak chin, resulting in improved facial harmony.
Hope this is helpful. Best wishes.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Our genetics and development affect the strength and size of the chin. We do have some hard wired interpretations of facial features that are linked to impressions of masculinity and femininity, as you suggested. A wider and stronger jaw is associated with higher levels of testosterone and masculinity. This look can be created with chin and jaw implants. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why do Some People Have a Weak Chin?

The term "weak chin" is a figurative expression, not a literal expression. The term refers to a poorly projecting bony prominence along the central jaw bone. Muscle strength has nothing to do with it. If you look at a picture of a skull, you can get an idea of how the chin bone projection affects the face.

An enhanced chin projection can be created either by cutting the bone and moving it forward (there are several ways to do this) or by placing a silastic (plastic-like) chin implant over the bone. (See the link below to see the impact of a chin implant.)

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon