Can only liposuction treat the gynecomastia?

I have fat and glands in my chest. I went to a surgeon he said to that it can be treated by 2 procedures 1.by using gland excision method (In this method he said all the glandular tissue will be removed by excision method and due to this there may be a problem of nipple inversion and seroma formation) 2.In this process only liposuction will be used to suck the fat and the glandular tissue So my doubt is ,is he telling the truth that all the glandular tissue can be sucked out of chest by liposuction only.

Surgical Options Available to Treat Gynecomastia

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Can liposuction alone treat my gynecomastia ?

If you have true gynecomastia, with male breast tissue present, then you will need to have the firm male breast tissue excised.  Liposuction alone does not adequately remove male breast tissue, but is great for contouring the rest of the chest.  That is why excision and liposuction together is often recommended: the liposuction contours the chest after the male breast tissue mass is removed.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

If a gland is present then liposuction and gland excision is best to address gynecomastia.  Sometimes liposuction can address just the fat if there is not a gland present.  Best of luck to you and thank you for your question!

Chad Robbins, MD

Sometimes gynecomastia can be treated with liposuction alone. It depends on whether you actually have fat present or if is a breast bud that would need to be surgically excised. An in person consultation by a board certified plastic surgeon should be able to tell you which option you would need. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia is often treated with liposuction and sometimes direct excision of the glandular tissue. Best of luck.

True Gynecomastia will require gland excision

Hi. Thanks for your question. True Gynecomastia will present with glands under the nipple. This definitely needs surgical excision. I have seen a lot of clients who have had just liposuction elsewhere come back to me with relapse since these glands are not removed completely years later. A combination of liposuction and gland excision give us the most natural results clients seek. I will be really be able to guide if you can share photos - front and side views for proper guidance in your case. 

Gynecomastia

Gland  tissue is too dense to be removed by standard liposuction technique.  In our practice it is removed by "suction"  but only after being liquefied buy a special instrument that first shreds it into a semi liquid form. The entire process can therefore be done through a tiny spot inside the armpit with no visible scar on the front of the chest. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Although practices will vary, I am convinced that true gynecomastia is best treated with near complete excision of the gland plus/minus peripheral liposuction surgery. Liposuction surgery alone generally does not suffice.
 On the other hand, if a patient has lipomastia (only adipose tissue causing the chest wall concerns), liposuction surgery alone may suffice.
 Key will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Liposuction alone for male breast reduction?

You will find different surgeons have different methods for treating gynecomastia. For my practice I do a combination of surgical excision of the breast tissue along with liposuction. At least 40% of my gynecomastia practice is  redo surgery where the original surgery was done by a surgeon who only did liposuction. Breast tissue is too dense to be removed by liposuction. You are wise to question this, be sure you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia.

Miguel Delgado, MD