I've never had lip fillers done, is getting 2 syringes my first time too much?

Hi! I have really small lips (upper and lower) and want full looking lips. After watching many videos and seeing pictures all around of lip injections, i doubt one syringe will hardly do anything for me. Would getting 2syringes be too much all at once and is there any danger that comes with getting 2? Also, would you guys recommend dental blocks or numbing cream? Thank you!

Start off with 1 Syringe of Lip Filler

Dear jennybella18:

For patients getting their lips for the first time, my recommendation is to start with 1 syringe and re-assess desired treatment outcomes in 2 weeks.  Topical numbing cream works well to create a tolerable treatment experience.  All the best.

Hello, and thanks for your question. I would start with one syringe. You can always add more if you desire more fullness. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Fillers and First Time

I have been injecting lips for over 20 years with a "less is more" approach.  You can always add more and I would recommend that you start with one syringe and judge the results before the second syringe.  A good topical numbing cream is really all that you need before the injection.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

You typically start out by using 1 syringe of the filler, let the patient look in the mirror and then inject more if fuller lips are desired at that point.

Hope this helps.

Lip fillers

One or two syringes can be done safely at the same time. How much you need will depend on your current volume and how full you would like your lips to appear. I always recommend that my first-time patients start off with less filler and then they can always add more as soon as the swelling decreases in 2 weeks. Not only does it give you more control over your final shape and size, but it also makes your changes more gradual. I prefer to use numbing cream since the procedure itself is not painful. Many of the current fillers have lidocaine (numbing solution) mixed into them so your lips will not be too comfortable afterwards. Dental blocks can last several hours and may make talking, eating, or drinking difficult later in the day if you plan on going out. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

I've Never Had Lip Fillers Done, Is Getting 2 Syringes My First Time Too Much?

Thank you for your excellent question.  It is difficult to comment without seeing a photograph.  In general, I would recommend starting with one syringe for lip augmentation.  The lips have a tendency to swell.  The more product injected, the greater the likelihood of swelling.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you are not happy with one syringe, you can always see your injector to add more product.  I prefer to use numbing cream.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Lip Augmentation with Fillers Such As Restylane/Silk, Juvederm Ultra/Voluma, or Fat -- How Much Filler To Lips For Results?

I suggest less filler the first time, it typically causes more swelling on the first time and doing a significant amount of filler in the first injection can cause more significant swelling than you need.  plus its better to add more later then remove if you are unhappy.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip fillers--1 or 2 syringes.

you will do best to only have 1 syringe at first. Returning in a few weeks after swelling goes down and see if u need more. It is easy to add and difficult to remove!

2 syringes in lips at one time, it that too much?

I have injected 2 syringes at one time in a "newbie". It really depends on how your lips look after placement of 1 syringe. In general, I only inject one syringe in lips and have patients come back after getting used to the lips in a few weeks. At that point, the swelling is down and we can see better as to what needs to be done. The downtime with 2 syringes can be up to 2 weeks, which is too much for most people. I prefer using numbing cream because dental blocks can often distort the lips and movement of the lips. The key to your research should be choosing the right injector. This is the key to success with lip injections.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

First time lip filler

Jennybella, in my practice, I generally recommend one syringe or less for first time lip fillers.  While some patients may be able to accommodate, or may want 2 syringes in the long run, most will respond best to one syringe to begin.  The lips will swell and then settle, and this will indicate to the patient whether or not they would like to have more volume.  This philosophy allows the patient to slowly expand the lip tissue and generally makes for more natural and smooth results.  With the amazing new lip filler Juvederm Volbella being 0.6 cc, I believe some patients would respond well to 2 syringes to start with this filler.  In general, I use a dental block and occasionally add a little numbing cream for sensitive spots.  This seems to make the injections very tolerable.  I hope this helps.

Behrooz Torkian, MD