Best Filler for Eye Wrinkles

I have wrinkles around the eyes and would like to try some filler. Is Juvederm the best one?

Juvederm , Elevess and Cosmoderm are all very good for superficial or medium creases.

Dear Rosane,

If you have superficial or medium depth creases then Juvederm, Elevess or Cosmoderm are good choices. If the lines are dynamic creases which means that they show up mainly only when you smile then Botox is a good choice. There are no allergies to any of these materials and can be injected at your initial consultation very easily. Juvederm and Elevess are similar to Restylane but last alittle longer. (approx 6-9 months) Cosmoderm lasts approx 3-4 months which lasts about the same as Botox. Bruising and alittle swelling or redness is normal and goes away in a day or two. Some patients need both a filler and botox together which can be done on the same day.

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers may not be the answer

Greetings Rosane,

Wrinkles around the eye can be a difficult problem. Place your finger on the bone around your eye. If the wrinkles are on the skin between the bone and your eye, fillers should not be used in that area. For wrinkles along the outside of the eye (near the temple - often called the crows feet area), often Botox is the best solution. For other wrinkles or depressions around the eye, several products have been used off label. I would agree that the injector is more important than the injectible. The area around the eye is a difficult area to get a good result and requires a different injection technique than other areas.

Hope this helps.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

The injector is most important for filler around the eye, but don't use Juvederm

When you get filler around the eyes, you mainly help the sunken areas around the eye and tear trough area. The fine lines are only slighly corrected. Restylane seems to stay in place better than Juvederm and Juvederm can lead to prolonged edema around the eye. More important than the filler is the injector and placement. This is probably the most difficult area to inject well. The injection needs to be deep to the muscle and sometimes, just superficial to the bone. If the filler is placed too superficial, bumps and blue tint to the skin (Tindel effect) are seen. These injections are more prone to bruising than other areas. Also, conservative amounts is better than overfilling the area. Surprisingly, the injections are relatively painless. Most people will get about a year duration with Restylane.

Steve Weiner, MD

Facial Plastic Surgeon

Destin, Florida.

UPDATE:  I ONLY USE BLUNT CANNULAS AROUND THE EYES NOT.  LESS BRUISING, LESS PAIN, LESS SWELLING, AND SAFER.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Best Treatment for Wrinkles Around the Eyes

Fillers are not the best choice for eye wrinkles. Those periocular lines are treated easily with Botox, which relaxes the muscles around the eyes. After Botox injections, my patients usually see diminished dynamic wrinkles (created by smiling). For the lines under the eyes that still persist after Botox injections, I recommend using Erbium Laser Skin Resurfacing - this helps to remove the remaining wrinkles and gives a youthful glow. I hope you find this helpful.

To fill or not to fill

Fillers are not always the answer. It matters exactly what the pathology is. So if these are fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid then a resurfacing technique such as a chemical peel or a fractional laser is best. If they are wrinkles laterally around the sides of the eyes then these are typically from overactive orbicularis muscle and Botox or Xeomen toxin can be used to paralyze the muscle which will decrease the appearance of wrinkles. 

Fillers are better for "filling" hallowness, shadows and divots.  They do have a roll in larger defined wrinkles but they are really most beneficial to augment adjacent areas that enhance and decrease the wrinkle in that way.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment Of Around The Eye Wrinkles

Dear Rosane:

Botox is a fantastic treatment for wrinkles around the eye, particularly the crows feet which lie to the sides of the eye.  I would reserve dermal fillers for filling in of the tear trough areas, with Teosyal Redensity II my preferred filler here.  Best wishes.

Botox for eye wrinkles, Redensity II for under eye filler

Botox is the best treatment on the market today to target the crow's feet wrinkles that appear at the corners of the ears. Botox is not a dermal filler, but rather a neuromodulator that relaxes the muscles that cause the fine lines and wrinkles.

In terms of treating hollows under the eyes, Redensity II is my top brand of choice for under eye filler. This specialty dermal filler was created in Europe and has since won many awards and much accolades for it's excellent formulation that specifically targets correction of the delicate areas around the eyes.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Try Botox first

If it is wrinkles around your eyes that are caused by smiling or winking, then Botox is the best solution to try first. There are some fillers that can be used around the eyes, but it is mainly for filling in the tear troughs. The practitioner can evaluate your skin and determine what is the best course of action. Best of luck!

Wrinkles around the Eyes

Wrinkles around the eyes or crow's feet can best be treated with Botox injections.  If there are fine hollows under the eyes, that tear trough area can best be treated with Restylane or Belotero.  Products like Juvederm or Perlane are too thick for this area and Sculptra can cause nodules when injected under the eyes.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with cosmetic facial injections.

Filler's and wrinkles around the eyes

A combination of filler and neurotoxin such as Botox will give you the best result.  Belotera Balance and Restylane are the 2 fillers that I use most around the eye. 

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon