Lipoma removal from my leg has left a gap where muscle has been removed also. Can this void be filled?

Lipoma removal in Los Angeles

Fat grafting is an excellent method to restore contour to your lipoma removal tissue. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

#Lipoma - removal has left a gap

In general, lipoma removal does not lead to permanent deformities.  However, that depends to a large degree on how big it was and how long it was there; the larger/longer are in fact more likely to leave a permanent depression or deformity.  It can take several months (up to 6 or more) for the surgical areas to soften enough, and for fat to proliferate (fat is very sensitive to pressure and so may become atrophic, but then grow again after the pressure is relieved).  If it does not, you can consider fat injections to fill in the depressed or irregular areas.  You should of course be assessed in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon.  I hope that this helps and good luck. Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your leg void.  Though a significant amount of muscle does not typically need to be removed with a lipoma, some lipomas are large enough that they can cause a contour irregularity after removal.  If recently out from surgery allow 3-6 months for your tissues to soften and relax and make any contour improve spontaneously.  Once fully healed, if you have a remaining indentation fat grafting can be performed to the area to help improve the void.  Hope this helps.